Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Justin Timberlake to Perform at Super Bowl

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

The NFL has announced that Justin Timberlake will be performing at the Super Bowl this year:

This will be Timberlake’s third time performing on the Super Bowl Halftime stage, giving him the distinction of having the most appearances by an individual entertainer. He previously performed at Super Bowls XXXV and XXXVIII.

2. aniafc

Trusted

Plot twist: NSYNC gets back together at the halftime show.

(This won't happen)

3. rbf737

Regular

Good move, everyone loves JT. They announced this last night and he did a brief interview with Mike Tirico; heh I appreciated his response to the "will there be a wardrobe malfunction this time around" question.

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  4. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

[​IMG]

smowashere likes this.
  5. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

6. St. Nate

7. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Every time I see JT in the headlines my heart slowly dies knowing that we’re not close to an N’Sync reunion.

8. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

“Sorry your wardrobe fell apart during this movement we rehearsed 50 times”

9. St. Nate

Actually it's sorry I threw you under the bus and derailed your career as I escaped unharmed.

10. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

I still kinda feel like it was planned.

11. RobJGolde

Wrecked 'em? Damn near killed 'em!

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I love JT's music and as a performer, and other any other circumstance I'd be excited about this. However, the fact that he basically walked away scott-free from the 2004 show and Janet's career never recovered casts a shadow over this. I get it that he apologized for what happened and in 1 interview he stated that he recognized it was unfair that he received very little blame for the incident, and it how unfairly society treats women/WOC/POC, but still. It's a fucked up thing. I wonder if he reached out to Janet before taking the offer to ask if it was okay with her?

Fucking Dustin likes this.
  12. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

I as in the NFL? Justin Timberlake didn't vote for her to be blackmailed from future NFL performances or for Vh1 to not play her videos. He stuck by her side that it was an accident but the VH1 and NFL decided to go against her. Going after Justin is ignoring that the people person punishing Janet are hiding behind corporations.

carrytheweight likes this.
  13. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Yeah, it is unfair. The media simply thought 1) she is the woman 2) JT currently has the bigger name so they went after Janet. It just happened at the wrong time and there was nothing Janet could have done to prevent it. She was only doing what was rehearsed.

14. St. Nate

No I as in JT.

Also I recall him apologizing for the incident while Janet did not, cause their ain't nothing to apologize for.

15. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

I would apologize too if I was him because she got the shit end of the stick and there was nothing he could do about it. The fact is still that JT has nothing to do with her getting the shit end of the stick. The corporations are responsible for their decisions and they are making a good push to get the media to aim their pitchforks at someone else.

16. St. Nate

I'm saying he did not show solidarity and watched as they shit on a woman's career when he was one half of the "blame."

Thus the under the bus metaphor.

Essie, Fucking Dustin and Kiana like this.
  17. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Keep it. Justin was in on it just like Janet and didn't defend her at all. He grew up worshipping her and Janet took nysnc out on one of their first tours and he repays her by doing her dirty like that. I never expect a white dude who had cornrows to make good judgment calls but he's still a disappointment and hasn't done anything interesting in years to even warrant a Superbowl performance. Keep it and delete it.

18. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

He has stated that he was upset that the media went after her.
    "I probably got 10 percent of the blame, and that says something about society ... I think that America's harsher on women. And I think that America is, you know, unfairly harsh on ethnic people."

19. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

Woah, i'm getting some mixed signals in here on JT suddenly.

Pretty sure he's done some great performances and releases since 2004, but that's just me.

I don't think the blame for this incident has entirely rested on his shoulders. I also still believe the incident was a publicity stunt, it doesn't look like a malfunction to me at all. it looks like he intentionally rips the piece off, and isn't it quite obvious the outfit is designed to come apart as it does? On top of that, it seems as though she's wearing a nipple cover of some sort that is not a piercing. I understand we all have the freedom to wear whatever we like, though that's a peculiar accessory to wear in a leather body suit that comes apart at the bosom. Not to mention the timing on the last beat of the performance.

Why would I think this was a publicity stunt? Because worse publicity stunts have occurred before and after this one. It would be talked about and talked about for years, even today as is seen here. It would put a spotlight on Superbowl half time shows like none before. Justin Timberlake was in the limelight for years after it as well. The whole situation sucks, and it was extremely wrong to have happen in the middle of the most televised sports game in the U.S. with kids watching.

20. Kiana

This slander of the human race rn

ryan.conde likes this.
  21. Beholdtheriver

Regular

I think your opinion of that event and his response (which I'll admit I'm not incredibly knowledgeable in) seems to be coloring your opinion of him as a musician and performer. I know you cannot always separate the woman or man from their art, but it seems disingenuous to say that you believe he "hasn't done anything interesting in years to even warrant a Super Bowl performance."

His last two albums going #1 not good enough to warrant a SB performance? "Can't Stop the Feeling" going number one and being on the chart for over a year?

22. Kiana Oct 23, 2017
    (Last edited: Oct 23, 2017)
    Kiana

I didn't say he hasn't had success. I said he wasn't interesting. Can't stop the feeling was a hit but it was not interesting. I've never liked Justin's music so this does not apply to me tbh. His bandana wearing cornrows sporting trying to be down beatboxing act was always embarrassing even pre-janet lbr. People will eat his performance up.

ryan.conde likes this.
  23. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

He's also commented multiple times on the trends and social image the band was pushed to fit into because they were manipulated and used by the industry, and more specifically, their manager/label. Your biased opinion of Justin Timberlake and your hot take on his career does not negate the success and immense amount of fans he still very much has. Not interesting to you does not mean everyone. There are many artist that I could blow off or not care for after hearing their announcement of being the SB halftime show. JT isn't one of them, and I'm certain I'm far from the only one.

24. Kiana

I never said like any of that tho. He's one of the biggest pop artists in the world and people are gonna watch and praise him. I'm not totally delusional. I am of course in the minority. I thought it was a given that when I comment I'm expressing my opinion on him and his music and not that of anyone else or the entire world. You are free to enjoy him.

25. Beholdtheriver

Regular

Fair point on "Can't Stop The Feeling," though that kind of success does make evident why they would want him to be the performer. I personally find him to be an incredibly interesting performer. I think a large amount of people would agree with that.

I would not defend his cornrows stage though :crylaugh: