Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Geoff Rickly Reveals His Childhood Obsession with Commercial Jingles

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Geoff Rickly of Thursday performed at Kops Records early this week and talked about how “This Song Brought to You by a Falling Bomb” came to be:

… and I thought, god, I wish I could write a commercial for a bomb because it’s like the perfect product; people need it, they always want to blow each other up, but you can’t reuse it, so you’ve got to buy a new one every time, and the market doesn’t even set the price; it’s federally funded. Man, this is like the perfect product, and I started writing jingles for bombs and this is the song that came out of it.

He also performed four acoustic songs, which you can watch below.

Zac Djamoos likes this.
  2. red8ge

Regular

hasn't he been telling this story for a while?

3. flask

Trusted Supporter

He told it when I saw him play acoustic like 3 or 4 years ago but I don't think he's mentioned it in any interviews or anything. Now that I think about it he told a ton of great stories between songs. That was probably my favorite part of the show.

red8ge likes this.
  4. red8ge

Regular

oh yeah, that's definitely a part of the appeal

5. dubey

Regular

This was actually earlier this summer - June 24th before Thursday's headlining show in Toronto. Just got posted now though I guess.