Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Inside Story of How the FBI Rocked College Basketball

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Mark Schlabach, writing for ESPN:

The FBI announced Tuesday that 10 people, including four college basketball assistant coaches, were arrested as part of a two-year investigation into bribes and other corruption in the sport.

Assistant coaches from Arizona, Auburn, Louisville, Miami, Oklahoma State and USC were implicated in the investigation, and on Wednesday, Louisville announced that athletic director Tom Jurich and longtime basketball coach Rick Pitino have been placed on administrative leave.

And Jay Bilas:

The NCAA states that it protects players from being exploited commercially. Does that ring true to anyone? The NCAA uses the players as billboards for apparel deals and uses their names and likenesses to sell the product, and to sell media-rights deals. The NCAA continues benefiting from this multibillion-dollar business, while the players get only a scholarship, and the only ones exploiting the athletes are the NCAA and the member institutions. When you use a person to make money while at the same time limiting that person from making money, you exploit. Players are certainly not mistreated, but they are exploited.

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  2. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

They should investigate College Football too. You know, just to see.

Raku and artbynickferran like this.
  3. tenspeed

Wow. This is amazing--I mean, we all pretty much knew, but this is amazing.

4. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

i saw a post interesting that makes it a sort of different case

college basketball is all based on coaches and sneaker companies/AAU, while college football is mostly donors, so it makes it a lot harder on the football side since it's less business oriented

5. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

Mostly donors? What’d you mean?

6. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

big time donors are in the corruption aspect of college football. boosters give players money rather than shoe companies/agents like are done in basketball