Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

J.J. Abrams to Remake ‘Your Name’

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

J.J. Abrams has signed on for a live action remake of the popular anime Your Name. MTV reports:

While anime fans have a reason to be skeptical following the recent unsuccessful live-action remakes of Ghost in the Shell and Death Note, it should hopefully ease some fears knowing that Genki Kawamura, who produced the anime, will also serves as a producer on this film.

2. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

:-/

Raku likes this.
  3. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

But....star wars...

Raku likes this.
  4. Fletchaaa

Trusted Supporter

Your Name was good but kind of over hyped, I guess I'm kind of interested in a US adaption

5. Arry

it was all a dream Prestigious

hint: don't white wash

Gen Handley likes this.
  6. crunchprank

crunchprank.net Prestigious

I'm typically all for remakes, but not this one :x But I guess there's no stopping it at this point - I just hope it's halfway decent.

And if you haven't seen the original yet, watch it. It honestly only just came out not all that long ago.

7. transrebel59

Regular

This was my favorite movie of 2016. I think this will turn out to be garbage but, without spoiling anything, JJ Abrams/Heisserer are probably the best people to attempt an adaptation at this.

8. transrebel59

Regular

Honestly, I'd be okay with somebody like Zendaya and Tyler James Williams as the leads and have it take place in a vibrant and bright city like New Orleans. But I understand that Japanese actors are incredibly underrepresented in American media so they should definitely keep it as a Japanese cast.

9. Bryan Diem

Trusted

Anything's better than remaking another star wars ;)

Raku likes this.
  10. Bryan Diem and fenway89 like this.
  11. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

this is one of the best movies i've ever seen

i am not excited for this

Raku and Fucking Dustin like this.
  12. Arry

it was all a dream Prestigious

No, yeah I absolutely agree. Appropriating/rewriting it to the culture is understandable. But, white washing Ghost in The Shell level is a bad idea haha

13. Bryan Diem

Trusted

I thought it was 8. Is it 8 and 9?

14. 8 is Rian Johnson
    9 is Abrams

Bryan Diem likes this.
  15. cwhit

i wish this thread was talking about how perfect your name is and caring less about jj abrams :(

coleslawed likes this.
  16. Fletchaaa

Trusted Supporter

The pacing felt kind of rushed to me. I don't think I was able to care about the characters enough to have a large emotional reaction. I still liked it but I'd rank it as my third favorite by Shinkai

17. cwhit

weird, i disagree completely. the movie completely overwhelmed me with emotions, in the best way. i was taken for a loop so many times i came out of the movie just totally struck. saw it again two days after and the impact was just as strong.

studskalny likes this.
  18. Fletchaaa

Trusted Supporter

Yeah idk I was totally hyped for it too, hes one of my favorite anime directors. I'll probably try watching it again at some point especially if an adaption is coming out.

19. TedSchmosby

Trusted

But like, what can be done in the live action movie to make it better that wasn't already done in the animated film?

Raku likes this.
  20. Still mad the intro/song to the movie had spoilers in it ... but the movie is good.

21. cwhit

the first time i saw it i actually missed the first five minutes of the movie so i missed the intro, i was stunned when i saw it the second time and it gave so much away, haha. definitely lucked out in my timing

Jason Tate likes this.
  22. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

jesus christ what an unnecessary remake

23. Jared Luttrell

Regular

Hollywood always ruins great anime movies :/

Raku likes this.
  24. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

Yeah...like I'm okay with the idea of live action adaptation if it's done right...but the original hasn't even had time to breathe hahaha, it's barely over a year old.

Raku likes this.
  25. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

it's like the Martyrs remake. remakes should only exist if they offer a meaningful variation on the cultural lens, and even then only after enough time has passed that watching the original movie won't work for some reason