Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

‘Avatar’ Starts Production on Four Consecutive Sequels

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Deadline is reporting that James Cameron has begun production on four Avatar sequels:

It is not only unprecedented in number — Peter Jackson shot three of The Lord of the Rings installments together — it also will be the most expensive shoot of its kind, at an estimated collective budget expected to surpass $1 billion.

2. Yay?

Nah

Raku likes this.
  3. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I honestly have no idea who is asking for this but ok.

4. Rob Hughes

Play the Yakuza series

[​IMG]

Raku likes this.
  5. a nice person

Trusted Prestigious

I can see them making back the $1 billion budget with the first 2 sequels. But yeah, not sure how this will do over 4 films that pretty much zero people are asking for.

Raku and fenway89 like this.
  6. zachzacchero

James Cameron is more excited about this than any other person on the planet.

7. Joel Gustafson

A glass can only spill what it contains

Bold strategy, James Cameron.

8. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

As someone who really enjoyed the first for its beautiful visuals and technology, shit like this is the reason I'm no longer excited for movies. No story ever ends, and if it does, here comes the spinoff.

Raku, Turkeylegz and Damien Davies like this.
  9. CMilliken

Trusted

Easy pass for me. Didn’t really care for the first one.

Raku and NewSurrender like this.
  10. Rob Hughes

Play the Yakuza series

Joel Gustafson likes this.
  11. BradBradley

Regular

Jayyyyk Sooleee

12. Connor

we're all a bunch of weirdos on a quest to belong Prestigious

I remember when people claimed the first was gonna be the new Star Wars. Then it had zero cultural impact. Ten years later and nobody cares for a sequel

13. DesolateEarth

Birb

First one was somewhat good, but not "this needs 4 sequels" good.

Joel Gustafson likes this.
  14. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

Saw it once and remember nothing about it.

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  15. bransco2010

obviously they're hoping that the response to this is the same as the response to the first. but i still find it astounding that they're actually funding this. the first one came and went so quickly it had zero impact other than boasting its box office returns. even people who were all about it admitted the story was mediocre and predictable at best, and the visuals were the best thing going for it.

i think a lot of it is probably due to "how do you say no to James Cameron?" but i wish that at least someone was like hey, let's do one more and then see what happens. the way he's approaching them, filming them all at the same time, there's not even a chance to look at each one and take criticism, see what works and what doesn't, what needs to be adjusted for future sequels, etc. like worst case scenario, say the second one comes out and completely flops, critically and financially (maybe a long shot but just for the sake of example), now you're stuck releasing three more movies that people DEFINITELY don't want, or spending even more money on massive reshoots. if the guy really wants to make more of these, fine. it's his thing, he can do what he wants with it. but the production strategy is not the smartest.

16. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

How many people still talk about the first Avatar film? I can count the number of people I personally know on one hand.

17. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

I can count the number of people on no hands haha

18. DooDooBird

Trusted

Same. If I really strain my brain hard enough and try to remember, I believe it was basically Ferngully with Sigourney Weaver and some blue people?

Raku, fenway89 and Ryan like this.
  19. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

Thats legit my exact synopsis.

Raku likes this.
  20. Connor

we're all a bunch of weirdos on a quest to belong Prestigious

I liked the first one. Seeing it in IMAX 3D was a spectacle. The writing was trash but honestly Cameron always has cheesy dialogue. I would have been game for a sequel 6 or 7 years ago.

trevorshmevor and Aaron Mook like this.
  21. transrebel59

Regular

I guess I'm the only person excited for this.

I don't expect it to have amazing writing or some groundbreaking plot but it's going to be visually stunning and I guarantee you all will get suckered into seeing it.

Aaron Mook and fenway89 like this.
  22. AshlandATeam

Trusted

One consideration: this summer, Disney opened up Avatar Land in the Animal Kingdom. Rides for the lines, even as the park opened and during 'extra magic hours' (in case you're unfamiliar, are hours the park is open only for those who are staying at a Disney property resort, which means the crowds are half or less than normal), were 3+ hours for the rides. I was there a month after it opened too.

Also, it was great. I don't like Avatar. Avatar Land at Disney? Amazing.

By the time these films come out, there will be literal years of kids who are fans because they rode a couple (fantastic) rides and bought some memorabilia and toys while on vacation. The audience may not exist right now, but give Disney a few years here, and it will by the time the sequels are being released.

Raku, supernovagirl, fenway89 and 2 others like this.
  23. Damien Davies

Idk Maybe Supporter

Avatar felt like it was in cinemas for 6 months, and then I never saw it anywhere ever again. Four sequels might be a bit much.

Raku likes this.
  24. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

I'm salty about this because Cameron sat on the rights for Battle Angel Alita for like 8 years while developing these. On the other hand, my dad is a HUGE nerd for visual effects and is obsessed with James Cameron, and I know he's going to be over the moon about this, so it's hard to be too salty. But I have to say, I saw the first one in theaters probably 3-4 times because different groups of friends wanted to see it, but I couldn't even tell you the names of the characters without Google.

fenway89 likes this.
  25. zachmacD

Trusted

Great point. I totally forgot about the Avatar expansion.