Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Blink-182’s “Dammit” Turns 20

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Chris DeVille, writing at Stereogum:

Although it isn’t as easy to play as, say, Blur’s “Song 2,” most middle-school hacks can easily bang it out after a few minutes of practice. Many of them could write something similar. Chances are it wouldn’t be quite so stupidly infectious, nor would it probably arrive attached to a song so bracingly alive. Anyone can string together some notes in C major; it’s a testament to the writing prowess of Mark Hoppus, Tom DeLonge, and not-Travis-Barker that they flipped that rudimentary guitar figure into one of the greatest pop-punk songs of all time.

I can’t think of a song I played more often than this one for a good two year stretch after the release of Dude Ranch.

Raku and Kingjohn_654 like this.
  2. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Damn, that reads so cold haha.

Raku, David Parke and Kingjohn_654 like this.
  3. crunchprank

crunchprank.net Prestigious

Are the tabs in that article accurate according to Tom's playing? I've always played them differently.

4. josh-

Twitter: @joshcaraballin

I’ve always played it on the first three frets

5. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I guess this is growing up

crunchprank likes this.
  6. crunchprank

crunchprank.net Prestigious

Yeah, same!

7. Phil507

Resident NYC snob Supporter

If you watch the video, Tom plays it the way Stereogum has it tabbed. Less ringing sound using the fretted 5th fret D on the A string than the open note.

8. honkytonk

Narcissism on narcotics

I wonder if Tom and Blink will link back up for a 20th tour of Enema in a couple years. Seems unlikely but would be cool to see even if the album is only like 35 minutes

Raku likes this.
  9. knstadin

Regular Prestigious

In a perfect world... Mark, Tom and Scott reunion+tour for "Dude Ranch" 20th anniversary!

p.s "Enthused" is probably my fav. DR song.. what's yours?

Raku, hongfong00 and Kingjohn_654 like this.
  10. Daniel182

Let's hold our breath until we disappear

Apple Shampoo I think.

knstadin likes this.
  11. elphshelf

100% made of farts Supporter

Lemmings

knstadin likes this.
  12. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

In a perfect world I'd still want it to be Travis haha

BTDandFeelingThis and knstadin like this.
  13. oneeightytwo

Regular

Unfortunately, blink are not one of those bands to not play the ‘hits’ over the more deeper cuts. Sure, they might do a show or a few shows (similar to the few untitled ones), but a whole tour?
    That’s the one thing that frustrates me watching them live... the amount of material they don’t cover.

Raku likes this.
  14. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

Emo is the best DR song

knstadin likes this.
  15. honkytonk

Narcissism on narcotics

Yeah I caught them twice almost 1 year apart and the set list was almost identical if not the exact same. I understand touring for the new album and playing the hits but you think they'd want to mix it up for their own sake haha.

I'd love to hear The Party Song, Wendy Clear, Every Time I Look For You, Stockholm Syndrome, Go, etc. Great songs that go almost untouched as far as I know. Adam's Song would be a welcomed addition in my opinion as well, if they felt it appropriate, especially in light of Chester Bennington's passing.

Raku likes this.
  16. kelseyleigh

Trusted Supporter

I'd love to hear The Party Song.

Raku likes this.
  17. don't fret

You can also heard the slide in the studio version

Raku likes this.
  18. jorbjorb

7 rings

well fuck.