Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

‘Rick and Morty’ Co-Creator Slams Online Trolls

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

James Hibberd, writing for Entertainment Weekly:

Continues Harmon: “These knobs, that want to protect the content they think they own — and somehow combine that with their need to be proud of something they have, which is often only their race or gender. It’s offensive to me as someone who was born male and white, and still works way harder than them, that there’s some white male [fan out there] trying to further some creepy agenda by ‘protecting’ my work. I’ve made no bones about the fact that I loathe these people. It f—ing sucks.”

2. crunchprank

crunchprank.net Prestigious

I love how, in addition to everything else he aptly stated, addressed how writing credits work for television shows. It really is simple ignorance when people assume the credited writer did the entire episode. He couldn't have explained it better on it being a collaborative effort. The credited writer, for the most part, did nothing more than the rest of the writers that went through the grinding ordeal of sitting in some small, uncomfortable room pitching joke after joke for hours until they get one good one and then repeat the process over. Writing, especially on animated shows, could not be more of a team effort. Whenever I hear someone say, "Oh X writer did this episode of the Simpsons, that's why it's bad/good" I just want to flip tables.

3. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

Why do crappy people have to ruin cool stuff?

MikeyPaine and Turkeylegz like this.
  4. elemenohpe

Irregular Prestigious

because THE INTERNET is Pickle Rick?

5. TedSchmosby

Trusted

Well crappy people also make cool stuff so it's only fair

Raku and coleslawed like this.
  6. y2jayjk

Trusted Prestigious

Uh oh, Reddit is gonna be pissed.

7. Tata Toothy

Regular

I agree with him 100%, sadly some of these trolls will just get their jolly’s off to this. As long as we have social media we will be dealing with these problems.

We can never have nice things.

Turkeylegz likes this.
  8. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Isn’t Rick & Morty just a meme show with science thrown in to attract pseudo-intellectuals? It seems like online trolls are their target audience.

Raku and y2jayjk like this.
  9. AgainstMe182

You should check it out. It's amazing.

skogsraet likes this.
  10. Bryan Diem

Trusted

It's absolute trash but it's less sciencey and more "cynical"

Raku and y2jayjk like this.
  11. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

I think it's a very funny show. Some of the fanbase is obsessed and think the show is smarter than it actually is. There's a character named Mr Poopy Butthole. It's hilarious and lowbrow. It's definitely got some great sci fi concepts, but it's not really complicated.

12. Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

What do you think my Halloween costume is this year?

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  13. Turkeylegz

Trusted

I love this show but the fans can be the worst. Most of my experiences with other fans comes from being trashed for not knowing a reference.

14. mercury

modern-day offspring fanatic Supporter

Oh man I would love to watch one of their reactions to reading this.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  15. Fans of this show have 100% convinced me that I don't want to like it regardless of how funny it actually may be

Raku, Joe4th, slimfenix182 and 7 others like this.
  16. Hugo G.

FKA whiterussian Supporter

The show is great, glad I wasn't even aware of whatever troll/asshole community is built around a goddamn TV show.
    People need to learn to enjoy things for what they are and think for themselves.
    What's next, BoJack quoting? As in, the main character?

17. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

It's a funny, well-written show. My only exposure to it's online fanbase was when I briefly followed the shwiftposting page on Facebook which was absolutely awful. The cynicism and apathy prevalent throughout the show attracts angsty pre-teens which is basically a recipe for something akin to youtube comments. Ngl though it sucks to mention that I like the show now cuz someone will immediately quote that dumb "intellectual" meme and tie me in with the rest of its fanbase.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  18. The intellectual meme makes me lol because I've literally heard some serious iteration of that sentiment from multiple people

19. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

it's just weird cuz like someone said the show's humor is pretty lowbrow. oh and as to not give all angsty pre-teens a bad wrap, the show was hugely popular with the STEM crowd in college. tended to not be my favorite group of people.

20. Borat 2: Vengeance

The Pitbull of Chorus.fm Prestigious

The idea of not liking something because it has a shitty fanbase is so stupid, like what? I mean if you don't like it that's one thing. It does have, at it's core, one of the worst fanbases I can think of tbh. The subreddit is pure garbage as you would imagine too.

21. Dan Harmon has done a good job of separating himself from these types, but if I'm already hesitant about a show before seeing what its rabid MRA fanbase is capable of, I'm pretty fine with just passing on it at that point

this comment is obviously not meant to attack anyone who happens to like the show (unless you're one of the aforementioned MRA shitbirds)

MikeyPaine likes this.
  22. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

I honestly had no idea Rick and Morty was known for having shitty fans, probably because I'm not on reddit or twitter much.

The show is fantastic, though. One of the best currently going.

Turkeylegz likes this.
  23. scroopy.noopers

: (

i can't find it but i remember seeing a tweet that said something like "rick and morty fans like to think they're a lot like rick, but they're really jerry on the inside"

24. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

And that's the way the news goes!

25. Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

[​IMG]