Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Nathan Fielder: How the Cult Comedian Rules the Outer Limits of Awkward

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Andy Greene, writing for Rolling Stone:

Television has never seen anything quite like Fielder, who grew up in Vancouver as a gawky kid who loved to perform magic tricks, then went on to get a business degree from the University of Victoria. Nathan for You manages to make use of both his love of magic and his business acumen, as well as his natural social awkwardness. On the show, he “helps” mom-and-pop shops with schemes that can border on offensive – like when he convinced haunted-house visitors that they’d contracted an autoimmune disease “a step below AIDS” in order to give them a real scare. Other bits are hilarious, sophisticated illusions: To promote a petting zoo, he made a video in which a pig appeared to rescue a goat from drowning. In reality, it was a scheme involving divers and other underwater props, but most of the big morning shows played the clip, believing it was real.

Nathan for You returns tonight. I’m ready.

2. I'll never forget watching this show the night it premiered alongside The Ben Show on CC. The contrast of quality between the two sorta blew me away haha. So happy this show is still running, this guy is so perfectly unique.

Zilla and JRGComedy like this.
  3. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Hey, the Ben Show was pretty great too.

But NFY does blow it out the water.

yeahrightdude likes this.
  4. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

The Ben Show was very strange, glad to find some others that remember its existence. His current project, Wheeler Walker Jr., is much funnier and more effective.

5. It had its moments as the season went on for sure, but idk something about that guy just really rubs me the wrong way haha

Which is sort of ironic considering the foundation of Nathan's awkward humor is often to intentionally rub you the wrong way

suicidesaints likes this.
  6. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Here's what Ben is up to now, haha

7. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

CAN'T WAIT

8. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

i've watched some clips on youtube of NFY, and it's quite funny and inventive, but I could see it getting old quickly. apparently the newer season explores actual depth to his persona and social anxiety, which is cool, so I'll have to check it out.

9. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

You really need to watch them in episode form to get the full effect.

10. Signifire

Headphones blaring three stacks Prestigious

It doesn’t really get old at all honestly, I thought the same thing at first though

suicidesaints likes this.
  11. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

doesn't get old at all. honestly one of my top 10 shows of all time.

Fucking Dustin likes this.