Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Fall Out Boy Perform on Kimmel

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. Former Planets

Aaaachem!

Haven't heard the studio version yet, but I didn't hate this as much as the last couple. I might have actually liked it! Performance was a little pitchy, but I prefer that to robotic I think.

3. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

Nice performance, but agreed that it was a little pitchy. Way, way better than their performance of Young And Menace (though it's hard to imagine much worse than that from these guys).

4. Cool seeing Pat play piano, even though his timing was rough. It seems like they're working pretty methodically to get one of these singles to stick. They came close with "Champion," but man alive, are they having trouble recreating the success of "Centuries."

5. I mean, "Centuries" was one of the biggest singles of the year when it came out.

"Champion" is still top 20 at alt radio.

6. Right. But part of the explosion of "Centuries" seemed to be, quite simply, excitement for a new FOB single/album cycle. "Centuries" came flying out of the gate and never lost momentum. So far, we haven't seen that from any of these new singles, as if FOB returning with new material just isn't a big deal anymore. It's sad, especially since I'm in the (apparently very small) camp of people who have loved all three of these new songs.

7. I'd disagree with that. It was because it was all over ESPN.

Mr. Serotonin and slimfenix182 like this.
  8. Do you know if there was an attempt to push "Young and Menace" into sports broadcasts in a similar fashion?

9. "Young and Menace" went to #1 on the Billboard/Trending chart. They have a top 20 alt single, right up there with Lorde right now, and their videos are all over 3-11 million mark for the songs released so far. I think that's objectively wrong. ("TLOTR" is already over 2.5m YouTube views and 1.8m Spotify streams.)

10. It was never released as an official single. They didn't send it to radio.

11. So, my perspective is mostly coming from the Hot 100, and the fact that huge first week sales have the power to propel a track to #1, regardless whether the song's been sent to radio or not. On the power of huge first week sales (well over 100k), Centuries debuted on the Hot 100 at #22. The first week singles sales for "Young and Menace" (AND its YouTube plays!) weren't able to place the track on the Hot 100. Apparently, it landed just outside of the charts. Same for "Champion" -- I've been watching its slow climb on the rock radio charts (and I hope it keeps climbing!), but the song never managed to make a dent on the Hot 100.

12. Right, the song is not as big as "Centuries." I said that in my first post: "Centuries" was one of the biggest singles of the year when it came out.

13. Totally! And you haven't said anything wrong -- we're just looking at different pieces of evidence and drawing different conclusions from them.

My initial point was intended to be that I wish FOB were having an easier job getting a single out there that would find success as quickly and broadly as "Centuries" did :blush:

14. But having one of the biggest singles of the year isn't ... easy? I don't know what you're trying to say. A really perfect storm of events led to FOB having their biggest cross over hit in years with that song. I don't think it's going to be replicated, nor do I think the conclusion you draw from their next singles not having that massive success is correct.

15. Should I say, then, that I just really wish that same perfect storm would happen again, as unlikely as that is? Should I admit that all I'm spitting out is wishful thinking? hahah

16. kiguel182

Regular

Comparing any new single to the monster that "Centuries" was is unfair.

I love this track and really enjoyed the performance. These collection of songs so far it's pretty cool and I'm digging this frenetic pop music they are writing. They are pushing it even more that they did in the last record and I'm liking it.

17. adleon18

I just came here to say that Patrick is the man. I enjoy this song a lot and I like the performance, I think it that, from the new songs, this is the one that sounds better live

18. MikeERayner

Trusted

Definitely my fav of the 3 so far.

Strange at Jimmy had a vinyl sleeve for an album still 4 months away haha

19. Bryan Diem

Trusted

I've always thought those were fake, not actual vinyl.

And jeez, is this song everything I could want a FOB song to sound like in 2017 :heart:

20. thedrudo

Trusted Prestigious

Those aren’t always actual vinyls.

21. cosmickid

Composer, but never composed.

Not the greatest vocal performance but I like the energy overall in this. Liking the song more with each listen too.

22. heymattrick

Sending my love

Pretty good performance! I think this tour might be the time for FOB to bring out some additional backing musicians out with them. I would love to see someone playing keys/synth and doing backup vocals vs them continuing to use backing tracks. Joe and Pete are pretty much worthless when it comes to backup vox

BornToRun and sawhney[rusted]2 like this.
  23. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

I just heard this song being played as a segue to a commercial on Monday Night Football. It begins.