Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

iOS 11: The MacStories Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

iOS 11 is out today. As always, Federico Viticci over at MacStories has a fantastic review:

But perhaps more importantly, unlike iOS 10, iOS 11 presents a cohesive narrative for both the iPad and iPhone. A story where, for the first time in years, the iPad is informing some of the design principles and features of the iPhone’s software. Even from different angles, and each with its own past struggles, both acts in iOS 11 end up asking the same question:

Where does the modern computer go next?

2. knstadin

Regular Prestigious

Went from 5GB free storage to 9GB after installing iOS 11 on my ancient iPhone 6! :ok:

dylan, kwilcox and Contender like this.
  3. delvec19

Trusted

Is there slowdown at all though?

4. knstadin

Regular Prestigious

There is already too much "crying" on YouTube about laggy/buggy animations.. I only used FB messenger, IG and Whatsapp so far... Didn't feel any difference :eh: If you're not sure about it just wait for the 11.1 patch.

kwilcox and delvec19 like this.
  5. omgrawr

That loneliness is not a function of solitude.

Holy shit that review is 25 pages long haha

Jason Tate likes this.
  6. Contender

Goodness is Nowhere Supporter

Updated earlier today with only 1GB left, and now I have 10 GB left so that's nice. I have noticed it running slower than normal, but I plan on updating soon and just wanted to get a feel for the new iOS.

kwilcox likes this.
  7. kwilcox

Upgraded a few hours ago. No complaints so far on a new iPhone SE.

8. hermanthehermit

Paris, Texas Climate Accord Supporter

I was listening to the new connected podcast today and he outright says at the beginning of the podcast he's sick of talking about iOS 11. So good.

Jason Tate likes this.
  9. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

Maybe someone can help... since updating my 5S, the OS now takes up over 10 GB which is a bit excessive for my 16 GB capacity. Do I finally need to upgrade, or has my phone not discarded the previous versions assets/data?

BC9C08BA-5765-4DA4-9253-4EB193FFA8E0.png

10. Totally worth it.

omgrawr likes this.
  11. 16gb is probably right on the edge of what you'd wanna use, even though this version saves a lot of space compared to old ones.

electro haikus likes this.
  12. morken

Not everything means something, honey Supporter

Especially liked this part of the review;-)

upload_2017-9-20_10-48-49.png

kwilcox, coleslawed and Jason Tate like this.
  13. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

I think it gradually purged iOS 10 which is kind of interesting. I would open my usage stats every 5 mins and the number would have reduced bit by bit to where it now says it’s using 7.8 GB

14. jorbjorb

7 rings

The "optimize photos" option is amazing

kwilcox likes this.
  15. theredline

Trusted Supporter

Before 11 I had about 10g on my 64g 6s now after 11 I have 18g! I’m definitely okay with that!

16. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

OH

I only read page 1 and thought "this isn't much of a review"

Then I read this comment and realized I fucked up

coleslawed and omgrawr like this.
  17. Transient_Hymn

Somebody Turn the Neon Down Supporter

I want to read it. But 25 pages is just too much for me. Ha

18. morken likes this.
  19. Worth tossing in a read later service for a day with coffee and some time. It's really detailed, but it's really good.

I think a more basic version of a review, nowhere near as much detail, is on Mac World.

I just really like knowing all the things iOS related from a huge iOS user.

coleslawed likes this.
  20. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

Skynet. Its the next step.

21. theredline

Trusted Supporter