Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Someone Tried to Kiss Alvvays Singer Molly Rankin on Stage

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Molly Rankin, the lead singer of Alvvays, was harassed on stage in Antwerp, Belgium over the weekend. During their set some idiot jumped on stage and tried to kiss her. The venue has issued a statement:

This weekend a man got on stage during the Alvvays show at Trix and harassed the band’s singer. Trix regrets this happened on our stage. It is incredible and saddening that we should still spell this out in 2017, but here goes: it is in no way, shape or form acceptable to harass women on or off stage.

2. rxbandit89

probably over-caffeinated. Supporter

well that was one of the most awkward things I've ever seen. Yeesh.

tyramail and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  3. Turkeylegz

Trusted

Sexual harassment is gross and it is sickening that anyone would think this is okay. Maybe I am getting old but it sure seems like fans are too entitled with access to bands.
    On a happier note, I really like her voice and the guitar work on that song! I'll have to check them out.

4. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

What a fucking weirdo.

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  5. mercury

modern-day offspring fanatic Supporter

lol why did i read the youtube comments

i was having a good day

6. ihaveblink

Regular

even as a dude this makes me cringe so hard

7. knstadin

Regular Prestigious

"oh! hey you :winkkiss: just passing here.. don't mind me, bye" The fk was thinkin' ??? :teethsmile:

DejaMoi likes this.
  8. Colin Your Enthusiasm Sep 19, 2017
    (Last edited: Sep 19, 2017)
    Colin Your Enthusiasm

It's nobody's battle but your own. Prestigious

Awkward AF. You can see the moment he realizes he's a total dumbass for doing that. WTF dude. This is not ok.

Mr. Serotonin and knstadin like this.
  9. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

That's definitely true that fans are entitled and don't see artists as people but I don't think this is related

Turkeylegz likes this.
  10. shawnhyphenray

Regular

I've seen shows recently where it's a male performer and a female hops on stage and grabs his ass and you hear nothing

Raku likes this.
  11. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

Rethink this

12. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

Are you really going to be that guy right now?

13. Can I ask you what your motivation was in posting this comment?

Male performers being assaulted is a very serious issue. However, if you only bring it up in instances where women being assaulted is the topic of discussion, I would recommend examining your motivations and asking yourself if you're helping the conversation and the issue or hurting it. You say you hear nothing; well, the folks I interact with tend to take both issues very seriously, and as such do not spend their time distracting from one issue while the other is in the forefront. Even with the best intentions (and I'll give you the benefit of the doubt here, because I don't know what your intentions were), this behavior is harmful.

And if you don't care if you're helping or hurting, maybe refraining from participation is the way to go. Food for thought.

14. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

I've seen male band members stop playing and not allow anyone else on stage because girls were being too touchy. So yeah, people care about that too, it's not okay by any means.

15. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

I cringed. This band sounds good though and i'm downloading their stuff.

truelovewaits and Turkeylegz like this.
  16. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

A female fan ran on stage and tried to kiss Parker from TSSF a few years ago, and it was given a lot of coverage. It just happens more to women, and that's why you see more stories about it happening to women.

coleslawed and SamLevi11 like this.
  17. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

Hasn't @Jason Tate told you how to never have your day ruined again with YouTube comments?

18. Larry David

Oh Jesus. Forget the YouTube comments being bad, they're just as bad here

19. Larry David

coleslawed and Jason Tate like this.
  20. Colin Your Enthusiasm

It's nobody's battle but your own. Prestigious

Legally I hope

21. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

truelovewaits and DejaMoi like this.
  22. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

At the Now,Now show at Rickshaw here in SF last month - an audience member yelled out for Cacie to take her shirt off in between songs. My friend and I booed him.

Point is: this shit sadly happens frequently.

Raku and Turkeylegz like this.
  23. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

This makes me sad. People should be better than this, we have got to demand better

24. youwontknow

If I smile with my teeth, bet you'd believe me

Oh!! DON'T jump on the stage mid-show and try and kiss the singer??! Got it! Alvvays learning valuable life lessons on Chorus! Thanks gang! :p

25. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Side note: Antisocialites is really great. Ordered the vinyl yesterday :-)