Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

My Home Screen

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Yours truly was asked to talk a little bit about my iPhone home screen over at MacSparky.1 It’s basically a picture of my home screen and some commentary about the apps I use the most. I’ve had a few people ask me about the second screen on my phone, so there’s a screenshot of that below for anyone curious.

[​IMG]
    My second page of apps.

1. A really good blog and podcast, definitely worth checking out.

House Of Wolves likes this.
  2. House Of Wolves

Why do you like to have only 3 apps on the home row? Is it because it keeps Launch in the middle?

3. Mainly, because I think it looks better and couldn't figure out a fourth that I wanted/needed there. Safari would be the possible choice, but my muscle memory likes it where it is.

4. House Of Wolves

That makes sense. Muscle memory determines everything; I've had the same home row since 2007.

Letterboxd seems awesome. I had so much fun in 2006 rating every movie 1-5 stars on Netflix. Netflix even had social stuff back then.

Jason Tate likes this.
  5. Highly recommend it for tracking movies and stuff. It's a lot of fun to see what you've seen in the past/thought/re-watched and see what other people/friends think as well. I like having a huge list/track of what movies I've seen over the year(s) as well.

6. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

I appreciate that you keep your phone charged because somebody on here does not.
    *Cough* @AelNire *cough*

Jason Tate likes this.
  7. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

I like how you're showing off your cell phone screen but the phone app/icon is nowhere to be seen haha.

I've got Phone, Mail, Chrome, and Messages on my home bar.

8. Heh. I don't use it but once a month at best.

I do have access to it if I need it though, 3D Touch on LCP:

IMG_9193.PNG

SmithBerryCrunch likes this.
  9. knstadin

Regular Prestigious

Wow.. no Whatsapp? :-O I see VSCO in photo folder and some official IG layout apps, what else you got in there? Anything worth checkin' out?

10. I don't know a single person that uses it. I know it's not as popular in the states as other places, but no one I actually know uses it. Everyone uses iMessage.

Dirty Sanchez and knstadin like this.
  11. knstadin

Regular Prestigious

That's crazy.. Especially when I think of Mark Zuckerberg bragging every once in awhile..

[​IMG]

I guess there are too many android users here in Europe..which is normal.. Just heard the price of iPhone X.. 1199 Euros = 1400 USD fml :eh:

12. crunchprank

crunchprank.net Prestigious

I noticed you mentioned a couple times there's not a photo management app out there that fits your needs yet. Just curious around how many images you think you have on your device?

I can't comment on iPhone's solution for backing up, but I think Android's Google syncing is pretty great! It's pretty granular as well, which allows me to control exactly what I want. But I could, as you said lol, toss my phone into the river and get all my stuff back with little to no effort.

13. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

I only keep apps on the top row and dock. Takes an extra swipe for most stuff but I smile inside whenever I actually see my wallpaper, especially on iPad.

theredline likes this.
  14. robargarthan

I have to have everything in folders or it bugs the shit out of me so your home screen is killing me haha.

theredline likes this.
  15. Two taps to get to anything? I feel like I'd waste countless hours over the course of owning the phone. I keep the folders on the second screen, first screen is stuff I use daily and want fast, efficient, access to.

16. It depends on the month. Currently, I import everything to Dropbox roughly once a month, have it organize everything in to folders based on the date, and then clean out the camera roll. So Dropbox ends up storing most of the photos.

What's the storage space for all of that? Is it encrypted? I've got ... I dunno, probably 75 GB on my phone in total with all the apps, documents, and so forth. I pay for the 50 GB iCloud plan, and should probably pay for the 200 GB plan. Looking now, I backup about 27.3 GB between the iPhone and iPad for their backups and then use about another gig for documents/files. It's a fine solution, I'd just just prefer something more along the lines of: Your phone is 128 GB, you get 128 GB of backup. Your entire phone, everything, is just backed up with no management or granular control. It's just done. And we'll keep a version of things like your photos if they get deleted for, I dunno, 6 months, so that if you accidentally delete them, you can get those back too.

I could get something like that basically done now, for $9.99 a month and have the 2 TB plan from iCloud, but I already pay for Dropbox, and don't really need it -- I do manual backups and backup what I need to the cloud already -- but doing it for the user I think would be fantastic for Apple. I know what I'm doing, a lot of my friends and family don't and don't set it up. I think the iPhone should/could do it for them.

17. TedSchmosby

Trusted

Do you have a public letterboxd account?

18. buckcheeks

Regular

I’ve never looked into Workflow until reading this article. Thanks to you, I will be dragging ass at work tomorrow from messing around with this all night. Cheers!

Edit: Got Letterboxd as well.

19. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

I'm not gonna lie—I'm surprised at your lack of grouping. You seem like a grouping kind of guy (said by someone who is a grouping guy himself).

True or false—you modified your existing home screen prior to taking this screenshot for the article?

20. MisterPickel

I love Letterboxd. Have you tried TV Time? It's great for tracking the shows you watch.