Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Pete Wentz on Latest Rock Sound News Podcast

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Pete Wentz is the latest guest on the the Rock Sound Podcast and the talks about Fall Out Boy finishing up their new album:

Not necessarily that we weren’t far along before – the songs just weren’t the right songs. We totally altered the course, which I think was important.

“I’d say we’re 60 or 70 per cent done with the record now,” he revealed.

I think we got ourselves into a strange situation where we put out “Young And Menace” and then we were like, ‘What’s the rest of the body of work?’.

2. Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

This all sounds like a marketing ploy.

Release single, get attention, then occasionally release stories/comments about how the album isn't "done" yet and that they altered the course.

3. They wrote and recorded the single they released yesterday a week after they announced they pushed back the album. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  4. Serenity Now

I get it, but hopefully you see what I'm saying. They could be doing this genuinely but still also realize the marketing opportunities it opens up...getting more time to talk about it in interviews, allowing fans to speculate on the sound, etc...

5. I mean, that's a pretty cynical take ... that the band's just lying about not having the album finished? They sent me "Y&M" when it was done and told me they'd send me the album too, and they haven't sent me the album yet ... it'd be a weird thing to lie about IMO.

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  6. Serenity Now

Well with info & access like that, yes.

But with me not being privy to that, hopefully you can understand how a band as big as they are can be seen as one that operates more like a machine/business and may take things like marketing more seriosuly.

7. Pushing an album release date back seems more like bad press, to me. We have no reason to doubt that FOB made the decision for art's sake, not publicity's sake.

I'd be curious if you were making these same claims when Brand New pushed their album back.

skogsraet likes this.
  8. Also, to be fair, FOB does care about their marketing. They always try to be smart and careful about it. It doesn't take inside information to know that -- they've openly stated that they're trying to figure out how to play in a band in a way that also creates sustainable income for their families. Caring about marketing is not the same thing as being a machine.

AshlandATeam likes this.
  9. Serenity Now

Not sure why you went with BN given that the two bands aren't on the same level or genre but here we are...

I would if anyone in BN was even a fraction of the attention seeker that Wentz has shown himself to be.

10. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

They also announced a massive tour that is going to be over by the time they finally release the album. I highly doubt they decided to book and announce an arena tour as a marketing ploy when they knew they weren't going to have the album out.

oldboot and Chase Tremaine like this.
  11. The two situations are very similar. An album is announced, then delayed because the band wasn't proud with the finished product. That's it.

12. DisloyalOrder

Trusted Prestigious

Intentionally extending a huge pop band's promo cycle to a total nine months would make no sense at all.

13. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

damn we're not mincing words huh

14. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Yeah I don't think pushing an album back is often seen as a great career move, like with how the media runs with it. Espesh now in the pop landscape where if ur not releasing an album consistently often u can be easily forgotten. Every time I read that someone's album is pushed back there's always this speculation that it must be bad or a flop or they have to redo it all cause the reception of the single(s) is so bad etc etc whether that's true or not and idk why any artist would want that sort of narrative attached to their record if they could help it. I have a feeling it's just... not done yet.

oldboot and DisloyalOrder like this.
  15. "Espesh" :clap::ok: