Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Equifax’s Unacceptable Unaccountability

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Farhad Manjoo, writing at The New York Times:

If a bank lost everyone’s money, regulators might try to shut down the bank. If an accounting firm kept shoddy books, its licenses to practice accounting could be revoked. (See how Texas pulled Arthur Andersen’s license after the Enron debacle.)

So if a data-storage credit agency loses pretty much everyone’s data, why should it be allowed to store anyone’s data any longer?

Here’s one troubling reason: Because even after one of the gravest breaches in history, no one is really in a position to stop Equifax from continuing to do business as usual. And the problem is bigger than Equifax: We really have no good way, in public policy, to exact some existential punishment on companies that fail to safeguard our data. There will be hacks — and afterward, there will be more.

2. slickdtc

Regular Supporter

The radio mentioned this debacle in passing and I don't think I've ever been so mad while driving. I was literally screaming at the radio about big business and how there's hardly any accountability. How we, the customers, can get screwed over and seemingly nothing happens but be late on a payment and they'll have you in collections and hounding you incessantly.

Something needs to be done. Unfortunately, the dimwits with the ability to do so are too busy fighting over a stupid ass wall or what some jackass senator liked on Twitter.

Ugh!

SEANoftheDEAD likes this.
  3. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

I don't see how you can prevent them from storing the data and continuing to function. It's a no win situation.

4. Iain

Regular

Are we back into the "too big to fail" territory?

skogsraet likes this.
  5. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

himynameisiain likes this.