Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Best Ex – “See You Again” Video

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. TDenverFan

Regular

The verses/overall sound are pretty solid, but the chorus falls very flat IMO. Still, I like this a lot more than the other stuff they've released under this moniker.

Also, unless I missed something, the singer is the only member featured in this video. Just a personal thing, but I'm never a fan of bands that become super singer centric. Feels more like a glorified solo project than a band at some point.

ale5875 likes this.
  3. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

Wasn't Candy Hearts the same way though?

4. ale5875

Regular

Candy Hearts was a proper band where Mariel was the primary (maybe the sole?) songwriter, whereas I have a feeling Best Ex is basically a solo project that plays live shows as a full band.

5. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

its unjustified and i feel bad saying this but.... i hate this. The video, the song, best-ex.

6. terps12

Regular

From what I've seen written about it, this was a name change and the band is still involved in the same capacity.

But I agree with the previous post -- I enjoyed Candy Hearts material, but I've found the songs on this release unlistenable.

7. ale5875

Regular

I'm pretty sure Candy Hearts' drummer Matt Ferraro is not involved in Best Ex, and neither is bassist John Clifford. Matt has a new punk band by the way, they're called Hot Knife if I'm not mistaken.

8. mesaxarizona

Seen video of them playing recently in jersey, and matt was playing drums. John wasnt there though. She did say in her update about the name change that its most often include her regular bandmates but not all the time. Maybe they're just busy with life. They seem to both have serious jobs if you follow them on Instagram.

Also how is it less of a real band if she wrote all the songs in candy hearts and did all the interviews and has a live band backing her up? Seems to me y'all are just looking for things to hate on.

9. ale5875

Regular

I'm not hating on anything. I was just saying what my impression on the status of the band was, but I made it pretty clear that I could be wrong on it.

10. terps12

Regular

Not sure why you're super defensive on this, but there's a difference between a band and a solo artist with backing musicians. In a band, all the members have some input on direction and style of the output. If this is a solo project, then she is the creative force behind the direction and the other artists are essentially doing what she tells them to do (ie, they're replaceable). There's nothing less "real" about either direction, the original poster was just speculating which bucket this fell into.