Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Hurricane Harvey

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

The New York Times:

Tropical Storm Harvey strengthened into a hurricane over the Gulf of Mexico last week and made landfall northeast of Corpus Christi, Tex., around 9:45 p.m. on Friday. It was a Category 4 hurricane with winds of 130 miles per hour. It then moved offshore before making landfall again on the shore of Copano Bay, this time as a Category 3 hurricane.

It brought devastating amounts of rain to an area that includes some of Texas’ most populous cities. It stretched along the state’s Gulf Coast from Corpus Christi to Houston, and inland to Austin and San Antonio. Parts of Louisiana were also expecting heavy rain.

A variety of resources and links to places you can donate to help can be found below.

Help those affected by #HurricaneHarvey. Visit https://t.co/IwTsENcx2z, call 1-800-RED CROSS or text HARVEY to 90999 to make a $10 donation. pic.twitter.com/r4qSn8byXj

— American Red Cross (@RedCross) August 26, 2017

People in #HurricaneHarvery distress can call the following #USCG numbers:

281-464-4851
    281-464-4852
    281-464-4853
    281-464-4854
    281-464-4855

— U.S. Coast Guard (@USCG) August 27, 2017

GoFundMe has also put together a collection of relief funds.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  2. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

As someone who's currently living through this in the Houston area, I appreciate you posting about this.

Where I am specifically is not flooded but it's been raining constantly since Friday evening and doesn't appear to be letting up for another couple of days.

3. failinginplace

Regular

Where are you? I'm in Kingwood and the San Jacinto river has crept up to the homes about a mile from me. It will still take a lot for my home to flood, but then again this entire event is unprecedented. I hope you and your loved ones are doing and will continue to be safe.

Colby Searcy and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  4. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

I'm in Copperfield/Cypress. There's definitely been flooding around us but our particular pocket of Houston seems to just be having a shitload of rain. I've been amazed at this city through all of this and how few lives have been lost has been truly incredible.

Hope y'all remain safe too! Should be over soon ish!

failinginplace likes this.
  5. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

JJ Watt's fundraiser on YouCaring is up to 11 million now. So awesome to see.

Colby Searcy likes this.