Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Killers Talk with Noisey

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

The Killers sat down with Noisey to talk about the current state of rock music and their new album:

Do you think a band like yours could gain similar traction in the present day?

“It could happen — but there hasn’t been anybody good enough. If there was a band like the Strokes, or Interpol, people would talk. [Points outside to Brooklyn] If there were some kids out there right now playing [Interpol’s] ‘Obstacle 1’ tonight, I would hear about it, you would hear about it. But there isn’t.”

Yeah, I don’t think that’s it.

2. youwontknow

If I smile with my teeth, bet you'd believe me

Mr Flowers seems to think he's the best or only band in the world. What an ego on this guy. Solid band tho.

DeeZee likes this.
  3. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Like it's 2004 again!

4. AndrewSoup

It's A Secret To Everyone Prestigious

that mindset is so fucking annoying

5. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

Completely disagree with the statement. There's sooo many great bands out there that are going unnoticed.

6. Tim Fitzpatrick

I can think of many reasons why in the current musical climate of the world rock bands aren't getting as popular as they used to. This isn't one of them at all.

SEANoftheDEAD likes this.
  7. DeeZee

If Young Metro Don't Trust You... Prestigious

Love The Killers (I've had this avatar for at least five years), but Brandon needs to stop discussing music. He's gone on record saying he regrets starting beef with all those bands years ago. Just shut up, man. There are great bands out there that haven't entered the mainstream yet.

SEANoftheDEAD and youwontknow like this.
  8. somethingwitty

Trusted

Rock is dead because theres no real rock stars left. Who today is considered a rock star? Ummmm...I honestly don't know?

Hip hop took over for rock and rappers became the new rock stars. People gave Kanye shit at Bonnaroo a couple years ago when he said he was the "biggest rock star on the planet"...and while he may not do rock music, he is the epitome of what a rock star is/was.

In the 60s you had Jagger/Richards, Lennon, Daltrey...70s had Page/Plant, Tyler/Perry, Bowie, Ozzy, Elton, Mercury, Cooper...80s had Neil, Bon Jovi, the ENTIRE Sunset Blvd scene...90s had Cobain, Reznor, Weiland, Cornell, Courtney, Stipe, Vedder, Staley, Manson...2000s had ummmmm, no one?...and 2010s seems just as barren...

Being a rock star used to be about about the excess, sex appeal, drugs, etc...and it still is, however the acts that have cornered that market are now the rappers, and to a less extent, DJs now. I just went to see Guns N Roses the other night and at 55 Axl has more charisma left than almost anyone left in rock music. Rock is dead...but being a rock star isn't, its just moved to a new genre...

You want to see what a rock star in 2017 looks like? Goto a Travis Scott, ASAP Rocky, Kanye, or Diplo show...

Sorry for the rant

Anthony Brooks and Aaron Mook like this.
  9. RobJGolde

Wrecked 'em? Damn near killed 'em!

-Writes "The Man" poking fun at how he was an egotistical douche back in the day
    -Says something that makes him sound like an egotistical douche.

I mean I like The Killers and his solo work but jeez.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  10. Anthony Brooks

brook183 Supporter

But yes obstacle 1 is the goat

Wall Of Arms likes this.
  11. Kennedy

loomasleep.bandcamp.com Prestigious

12. youwontknow

13. Kennedy

loomasleep.bandcamp.com Prestigious

they officially make the announcement sunday

youwontknow likes this.
  14. youwontknow

Thanks!! A #1 album...Brand New are *not* gonna be happy about this! Lol

15. Yellowcard2006

Trusted

They tried as hard as they could to not build attention or momentum but hey that's what happens with such a passionate fan base.

youwontknow likes this.
  16. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

I agree with this. There really aren't many rock bands out there nowadays in which the frontman (woman) is a true ROCK star. Nowadays the "rock stars" are definitely more like Kanye, Bruno Mars, Justin Bieber, etc. Rap and pop stars are huuuuuuge, and sadly, guitars are slowly fading out of the mainstream.

Our alternative rock station here in Philly plays so much stuff that I don't even understand how it qualifies as alternative rock.

17. RobJGolde

Wrecked 'em? Damn near killed 'em!

104.5? Yeah I don't get it either. In addition to that, if they could stop playing that live acoustic version of "Swing Life Away" where it sounds like Tim doesn't give a fuck, that'd be great. Bring back Y100 and let's call it a day haha

18. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

haha yup! And yeah I know what you mean, but at least they play Rise Against. I find its either newer age music with all electronic beats and no instruments....or....Lit. lmao

19. DooDooBird

Trusted

These new Killers songs are trash. Man, what the fuck happened to them?

20. Walkabout

Regular

The new new is the best stuff they've done since Sam's Town