Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Science Fiction (Encore Episode 152) Podcast

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

You may have had to wait a few extra weeks for a new episode of Encore, but that doesn’t come close to the eight year wait for a new album from Brand New. But, it’s here, and we’re gonna talk all about it. I am joined this week, once again, by special guest Drew Beringer to break down Science Fiction. We talk about our history with the band, our thoughts on their catalog, and do a track-by-track through the new album. We discuss the band’s place in the music scene, why they resonate so much with fans, and argue how the new album stacks up in their discography.

There’s never been a band quite like Brand New, and we may never see anything quite like them, or their rabid fanbase, again. I hope you enjoy our deep dive as much as we did recording it.

Hosts

Show Notes

Subscribe

You’ll always find this podcast at encore.fm.

You can subscribe to this podcast in iTunes, via any podcast player using our RSS feed, on SoundCloud, via Overcast, in Google Play, or on Stitcher. You can also find all of our previous episodes archived on our podcast page, iTunes, or on SoundCloud.

If you have any follow-up, questions, or a topic you’d like us to cover on a future episode, please send a tweet using the hashtag #askEncore. If you’d like to follow this podcast on Twitter we are at @encorepodcast. We love hearing from listeners and are always looking for topics both big and small to tackle. So, let us know!

If you like the podcast, could you please rate and review us on iTunes? It really does help. If you’re using the great podcast player Overcast, please hit the “recommended” button on the episodes you like. And if you have any friends that you think would like our podcast, please let them know! Word of mouth and telling people about this podcast will always be the best thing you can do to help us out. We really appreciate it.

This podcast is sponsored in part by our listeners. If you listen and like what we’re doing, and want us to keep producing new episodes, please consider supporting us.

Information about advertising on this podcast can be found on this page.

2. aniafc

Trusted

Can't wait to listen when I get off work.

Quick question: what do you use to record your podcast? Currently we're using Zencastr for our podcast, but I'm just wondering what other options are out there that could be better.

3. Software?

We use Skype and then I use Audio Hijack to record my audio into one file and the guest's audio separate (as a backup). I believe Drew used Garageband to record his audio file. Then I combine the two tracks in Logic.

4. aniafc

Trusted

Yeah, sorry I should have made that more clear in my original question. Thanks for the info, I appreciate it!

Jason Tate likes this.
  5. Kal El

The sidewalks are watching me think about you.

Ok, please don't take this the wrong way, but...

Oh my God, as a non-native English speaker, it is really hard listening to Drew with the constant "likes". Like, like, like and like, like.

goation and Brenden like this.
  6. Kennedy

loomasleep.bandcamp.com Prestigious

lol the person who jason thinks leaked the demos still posts on the website???

7. 99% sure, or at least the person who got them from the person does.

KennedyBN likes this.
  8. I apologize for my "ums" as well.

9. Colin Your Enthusiasm

It's nobody's battle but your own. Prestigious

Jason you said I am the avalanche instead of I am a nightmare:crylaugh: This is fucking great by the way. Loving it so far!

10. Kennedy

loomasleep.bandcamp.com Prestigious

so wild! im not finished the podcast but enjoying it a lot so far. thanks jason for doing these and taking the time to edit them and upload them and everything.

Kingjohn_654 and DejaMoi like this.
  11. Colin Your Enthusiasm

Totally agree with your opening thoughts on SF.

12. Kal El

The sidewalks are watching me think about you.

Haha, no need to apologize. Please don't take this as criticism... more of an observation.

Jason Tate likes this.
  13. crunchprank

crunchprank.net Prestigious

I was really looking forward to this one. It was great hearing input from people who haven't only been following the band for so many years, but huge fans of their work the entire time (I should mention here that I only started following them once TDAG was released).

A few of my own questions/notes:
    - At one point you mentioned the lyrics being written by Jessie, then you took it back saying or it could be Vinnie. And I hadn't even considered that even though I should have what with Daisy and all. So do we not know who wrote which lyrics yet? If not I'm assuming we'll have to wait for the liner notes when we get our physical copies?
    - I agree, Lit Me Up is a phenomenal opener (probably their best, though I still do love Vices) and sets the tone perfectly.
    - Was quite surprised at how much Drew liked Could Never Be Heaven. While an amazing song, I don't think I liked it quite as much as you two. If I had to pick one of the weaker ones of the album, this would be one of the very few, for me.
    - I agree again... 137. Just insane. Completely surprising, very huge, and I just loved it. Though I don't hear much Modest Mouse influence in it (I get that more from Same Logic).
    - Since you asked, it's pronounced like "mah-nah" but who cares haha. I still say pronounce it like you do because it just rolls off the tongue better.
    - For Desert, "feels a little too real right now" and "unfortunately speaks to the time and place we're here at right now" and "it's a difficult song for me but one I also really like". All explain this song perfectly for me. I've always loved Jesse's vague and subtle social commentary as even rare as that was to get, but for him to be much more blatant and still be able to deliver was a surprise and a joy.
    - Batter Up, what can you say. Absolutely perfect closer. Again I agree that this works so well with Lit Me Up being the opener. And great "book ending" statement. Also Drew brought up a great point that it's seems to have some commentary on how us (the fans) will always still be expecting and our speculations into the future of the band. So amazing.

So yeah, thanks to Jason and Drew for another great podcast! I do have one piece of feedback that hopefully doesn't sound too critical, but I've always found the Chorus podcast to last longer than the podcasts I typically listen to (on average I'd say the ones I listen to are about 30-45 minutes). So when I listen to these I usually have to set aside time because it's rare whether I'm at home or at work that I'm going to be able to listen to that long of a podcast without being interrupted multiple times. So seeing that this was 1h30m was a little intimidating though I should have expected it since it's a discussion about Brand New. But I think the little intermission question (between 137 and Out Of Mana maybe?) was a good question, but the discussion took a few too many turns and was a bit distracting. Just my two cents though! Overall, another great one!

14. Yellowcard2006

Trusted

Love a Brand New podcast.

DejaMoi likes this.
  15. I know. Later on I catch myself and then am like "goddammit" under my breath. Any edit of that woulda just sounded weird so I left it in ... haha, my fault, but it's funny cause I'm probably the only podcaster that would say that band name ever. Haha.

Kingjohn_654, DejaMoi and KennedyBN like this.
  16. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

Can't wait to listen to this. This past week has completely reignited my love for this band

DejaMoi likes this.
  17. Fletchaaa

Trusted Supporter

That was really cool to listen to, my first time listening in. I just wanted to hear brand new talk but I'll probably listen to more podcasts in the future now.

DejaMoi and Turkeylegz like this.
  18. Turkeylegz

Trusted

Only got a chance to listen to about half. Really captivating stuff. Can't wait to finish this one and next weeks with Thomas sounds great too! This album is steller. I continue to be floored by this album!

DejaMoi likes this.
  19. Colin Your Enthusiasm

Well worth it, it was super good. I also recommend listening to SF before and after the podcast lol

20. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

So I'm not the first person to say @Drew Beringer sounds like T.J. Miller right?

21. Bear

Bear the dog. Great Pyrenees/Newfoundland mix

Interesting take on 'Can't Get It Out'. I would personally have to rank it higher just because I really never thought we'd get any more material from Brand New that would fit on Deja. I wouldnt ever truly want or expect a "Deja part 2" full length from them but one or two songs (No Control too kinda) is just surprising but rewarding to hear. Deja's not their best but its a classic and they haven't put out anything like it since it's release until now

22. Hahahah. I've heard it from at least ten people today.

David87 and Kingjohn_654 like this.
  23. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

Literally came in here to say this.

KennedyBN and David87 like this.
  24. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

As a huge IATA fan, I'm glad it's in there.

25. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

Great discussion on the pod. I got chills thinking about how special BN is, what they mean to people, and how we won't have a band that has done it the way they have.

Fantastic album to top off a fantastic band.