Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Mike Mictlan of Doomtree Sets Up GoFundMe

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Mike Mictlan of Doomtree has set up a GoFundMe to cover medical costs after a Diabetic Ketoacidosis occurrence:

Last week I had to be rushed to the hospital. I had been feeling very sick for the past few days from what I thought was chronic stomach issues, but as things rapidly got worse we decided to head into the ER where I was diagnosed with DKA (Diabetic Ketoacidosis) due to several months of untreated, unknown diabetes. I was then quickly moved to ICU where I stayed for four days while attempts were made to normalize my potassium levels and blood pressure, as well as start my body on insulin. I was diagnosed as a Type 1 diabetic and later sent home to begin adjusting to all the changes that are needed to manage this disease.

We desperately need to fix healthcare in this country.

2. Ska Senanake

Trusted

Damn whats up with everyone in Doomtree having kidney issues?

Also, why the comment here about us needing to fix our healthcare in this country? Seems like it was a case that wasn't diagnosed yet and he got the care he needed. By law he should have health insurance no? Isn't that the mandate with Obamacare? Just looking for an understanding.

3. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

Do you know how many gofundme pages have been set up for people seeking money to be able to actually afford their medical bills?

Raku, coleslawed, Essie and 1 other person like this.
  4. Ska Senanake

Trusted

Nope, which is why I'm asking. I would have to now presume a decent amount.

5. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

Raku likes this.
  6. Ska Senanake

Trusted

Thats very interesting. Mike mentions he has NO insurance. Not just shitty insurance, but none at all. Forgive my ignorance, i'm from MA and we are fortunate with the quality of oir medicaid and health insurance exchange. Why might Mike not have any insurance? I'm guessing he is from MN like the other DT folk and i know they ooted out of the HIX model, but are their medicaid options really that poor that a person is better off having nothing and paying everything out of pocket? If so, then i see the relevance now Jason. Just an interesting topic i'm trying to understand better.

7. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

I could be wrong, but I am fairly sure that a lot of musicians, especially lesser known artists, do not have health insurance. I've seen countless gofundme pages posted on this site for artists in this scene. On another note, yes you're required to have health insurance without getting penalized (which makes total sense), but that doesn't mean the options available to you are affordable. When I was removed from my mom's insurance, my work would not let me use a change of status to be covered by them. So I looked for coverage outside of my employer and the cheapest I found at the time before the deadline was $190 a month. So I said fuck that, and that's what I'm sure a lot of others who were in the same boat would have had to do.

Edit: also, even with insurance it wouldn't be a crazy thing to need a gofundme. I have insurance, and it's pretty decent, yet I still have a $5000 medical bill leftover and the medication my doctor wants me to take every day for the rest of my life is $250 a month. So there are a lot reasons that our healthcare system is not super.

8. Anthony Brooks

brook183 Supporter

Pancreas issue, not a kidney one.

And no, everyone doesn't have health insurance in our country yet. There's a ton of people who make too much money to qualify for Medicaid, but don't make enough to buy their own insurance.

Essie and tyramail like this.
  9. Honeymagnolia

Regular Supporter

I always find American healthcare intriguing. As a Brit where everything medical wise is free apart from prescriptions which cost less than $10. Just incredible that you or anyone can be in such a dire need for treatment and then is told to cough up a ridiculous sum of money. Are people against the idea of paying an extra few cent in tax to fund your healthcare for all?

emeryk3 likes this.
  10. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

I would say we are a pretty self centered country and many Americans are against anything that involves them paying anything toward anyone that isn't themselves.

Raku likes this.
  11. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

Minnesota actually has a pretty decent low-income healthcare system. not sure how much it would actually help in a situation like this, those are some pretty big bills, but it's there.
    that being said, if I didn't have my mother hounding me to make sure I got my info in, I probably would have just risked it and gone without.

12. Iamhollywood315

Regular

I'm kinda more shocked he was diagnosed with Type 1 at his age and did not know about it.

13. heywassuphello

spare only the ones I love

I was diagnosed at 25. It's becoming more & more common I think. Shit will sneak up on you.

14. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

As Canadian, this is where my head always goes too. The debate first starts with which state they're from, whose state insurance system is better, etc. When for basically all other developed countries in the world it's all a moot point and he'd have received treatment without paying a cent. More than any other social/government service, everyone will require healthcare, and have their family touched by health problems, and to believe government doesn't have a role in maintaining it's affordability and public access for all always astounds me.

Raku and Honeymagnolia like this.
  15. Raku

Regular

It doesn't help that evil assholes like to spread propaganda to help deter the U.S. from entering into a healthcare system similar to the U.K., or Canada, and then idiots believe them, and vote against universal healthcare.

It sucks, always profit before common sense, or well being of others =/

Anthony Brooks likes this.