Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Conor Oberst Talks With Noisey

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Conor Oberst sat down with Noisey:

“People don’t like to hear it because it’s like, oh, you’re complaining about being famous, but it’s just straight-up objectification,” he says, noting that his celebrity is relatively small in comparison to some famous people he knows. “In their head, someone makes you an object. They disregard your humanity and they expect you to accept it, I guess because you’re getting paid.”

2. Vegetables

Regular

I wonder why you didn't quote this part, lol:

"As the allegations spread like wildfire, getting picked up by music publications and causing a heated debate on Tumblr, the court of public opinion seemed to have its mind immediately made up and even longtime fans began to turn on him. Oberst, who had always aligned himself as a feminist, was labeled a rapist, a misogynist, and whatever other ugliness anyone wanted to project on him. The internet sunk its unforgiving claws into Oberst and he was powerless in its iron grip."

Serenity Now likes this.
  3. Because I thought the part I quoted was more poignant and came from Conor himself. Not sure what you're trying to say here, but I'm assuming it's something that's going to end up pissing me off.

Dirty Sanchez and CMilliken like this.
  4. dorfmac

Trusted

I definitely remember the community here was quick to throw Conor to the wolves. Given his history as being one of the good guys, I was surprised how fast it happened. I'm glad things came out in his favor.

Serenity Now likes this.
  5. Conor Oberst

You have to, when it comes to situations like that. Conor has been my hero since I was a kid, but if somebody has the courage to speak up in defense of themselves, regarding a tragedy such as that- Their voice needs to be met with warmth and support. You can't question the validity on such a thing, because it's hard to fathom anybody lying about something like that... It's so damaging to true claims from people who have endured such a horrible reality. In this case, it was a lose-lose because there was undeniable proof she made the whole thing up, and while his innocence was made obvious, it shifts a lot of focus due to stupid asses jumping forward with the whole "I wonder how often people lie about this sort of shit".

fame likes this.
  6. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

99% of the time the accusations were real, and Bill Cosby seemed like a good guy until we learned the truth
    I'm glad the accusations were unfounded in his case but again that's super rare so I always give the accusers the benefit of the doubt

7. Sybil

Regular

What is the context of the Syria statement after he mentions his brother killing himself by over-drinking? Was his brother in Syria at some point? Or did I just miss his point.

What does a Syria kid being chemical-bombed have to do with his brother drinking himself to death?

8. dorfmac

Trusted

I completely understand all of that. I think that it's difficult, but important to strike a balance in creating an environment where people feel comfortable coming forward but also not sabotaging someone strictly based on accusation. There's got to be some place on the spectrum that can achieve that without being a full-on MRA. As a teacher, I think I'm more sensitive to it because I know how precarious my position is and would be in the face of an unfounded accusation.

Obviously, it's a delicate issue and I don't have the answer on what that balance looks like, but I was more saying how surprised I was when the community here came out with the pitchforks almost instantly based on a blog post. I distinctly remember everyone bent out of shape when he filed a defamation suit when there was virtually no other recourse for him to clear his name other than allowing it to continue to be dragged through the mud for months.

Serenity Now likes this.
  9. dorfmac

Trusted

I think it was just his way of keeping things in perspective. Yes, his brother faced hardship with alcoholism and he faced hardship in processing his brother's death, but it's really minimal in comparison to what other people are facing? That was my interpretation at least.

Serenity Now likes this.
  10. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

Did you all read the part where he says he doesn't want people to use him as an example to discount victims who speak out because if 2 years trying to advocate for victim's in this scene has taught me anything it's that y'all only give a shit about Conor Oberst's wildly anomalous case.

Jason Tate, fame, FTank and 1 other person like this.
  11. Saephon Aug 13, 2017
    (Last edited: Aug 13, 2017)
    Saephon

Regular

There's gotta be a compromise between supporting someone who comes out as a victim, and letting the accused be viewed as innocent until proven guilty. I just don't know how we do that. And I'm well aware that 99% of the time, accusations end up being true, and justice is not carried out, or swept under the rug.

But I can't help but feel empathy towards someone in a situation like Oberst, because all the statistics don't mean a damn thing in the world when you are personally suffering due to the actions of someone messed up enough to lie. It would be like approaching someone whose house caught on fire, and instead of giving them your support, you tell them "You know, most people's houses don't catch on fire. Statistically, what happened to you wasn't likely." How the fuck does that help?

Injustice takes many forms. Often, it manifests in a blatant violation of someone's rights and consent, which we've sadly seen far too often in this scene. But sometimes, however rare, injustice takes form in an innocent being convicted of something they did not do, be it through our judicial system or merely in the court of public opinion. It's for this reason I'm vehemently against the death penalty. I know it's *relatively* rare, but the idea of someone being punished for something they didn't do disturbs me beyond belief. I think most people don't worry about that kind of thing until they've personally experienced it - trying to defend yourself when people won't believe the truth is maddening. It feels an awful lot like trying to point out all the bullshit lies Trump spews on a daily basis, and being told you're just buying into Fake News. Like taking crazy pills.

On a side note, I had no idea his brother had passed away. I hope Conor can find peace; the guy's been plagued by depression for so long.