Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Disney Moving From Netflix to Own Streaming Service

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Michelle Castillo, writing for CNBC:

CEO Bob Iger told CNBC’s Julia Boorstin Disney had a “good relationship” with Netflix, but decided to exercise an option to move its content off the platform. Movies to be removed include Disney as well as Pixar’s titles, according to Iger. Netflix said Disney movies will be available through the end of 2018 on its platform. Marvel TV shows will remain.

The new platform will be the home for all Disney movies going forward, starting with the 2019 theatrical slate which includes Toy Story 4, Frozen 2, and the upcoming live-action The Lion King. It will also be making a “significant investment” in exclusive movies and television series for the new platform.

Raku likes this.
  2. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

If it has all the Disney movies, this would be something I'd definitely pay monthly for, for my kids.

3. Connor

we're all a bunch of weirdos on a quest to belong Prestigious

I'm mixed, like I agree with this point. It's great for that. But does t set a precedent for other studios to do the same? Like will it end up where you have to pay for all these different streaming services and it's just as much money as paying for cable/satellite is?

4. Larry David

That'd be awful if it turned into this, however Disney is GIANT, so I wouldn't use them as a future precedent. I do agree though, if I end up choosing between/needing 10 streaming services, might as well keep cable!

Raku and fenway89 like this.
  5. cosmickid

Composer, but never composed.

Disney may be one of the only movie studios with a powerful enough brand to make this viable. Like is a Universal Studios streaming service really as attractive as a Disney one?

Raku, trevorshmevor and coleslawed like this.
  6. Connor

Good point!

7. Tim Fitzpatrick

I'm just wondering what this means for the future Marvel shows on netflix. I also think we already have too many streaming services, but whatever man.

Edit: Reading comprehension is at a low today.

8. Larry David

Marvel TV shows will remain

Kingjohn_654 and fenway89 like this.
  9. knstadin

Regular Prestigious

[​IMG]

Increased competition consumer benefits :ok:

Raku likes this.
  10. Maybe not, but if they pulled out of Netflix it makes Netflix less valuable.

The old adage: two ways to make money — by bundling and unbundling. Here we see an unbundling of Netflix, we're seeing an unbundling of sports, and we're creating a bunch of little silos. Cable bills are what, $100 a month or so? These silos will probably end up being just as expensive, and we'll see more "skinny bundles" crop up for cord cutters.

I think it'll also lead to an increase in piracy the more things get unbundled and pieced up.

(Oh, and the post above this one of mine is just silly.)

Raku, yeahrightdude, Joe4th and 6 others like this.
  11. Connor

Yeah this is how I feel. Sure a Universal streaming service by itself isn't great, but lets say I want to watch Jurassic Park, but its not on Netflix cause its only available on Universal's site.. Now Netflix isn't as valuable to me AND I have to subscribe to Universals site just to watch it.... which is annoying. It would be way less of a headache to pirate it, which I don't want to do because I believe in paying for things. It really does kind of create this weird precedent that I don't think is necessarily a good idea.

Long story short, I'm glad you agree with me haha

12. knstadin

Regular Prestigious

We'll see bout that when Netflix monthly fee goes $3.99 :peace:

CMilliken likes this.
  13. Dirty Sanchez

Prestigious Prestigious

Netflix will never be $3.99

Raku, dylan, slimfenix182 and 7 others like this.
  14. Netflix? No way. Definitely not anytime soon. Amazon will probably do something like that and go for market share because that's just what they do. Netflix will raise their prices as they build their content moat. Apple will add video into Apple Music. And neither of those two are going to cut their prices by two thirds. If Apple Music didn't debut at $4.99 to try and squeeze Spotify, there's no way Netflix is going to be $3.99.

15. knstadin

Regular Prestigious

hah that was exaggerated.. daym I will probably need a heavy use of Google translate to explain the benefits of competition. Language barrier too stronk for this kind of conversation.

In 5 years from now if we have 15 streaming platforms, $3.99 sounds like a reasonable fee.

[​IMG]

p.s just my personal opinion after all, peace!

16. *Makes note to come back to this conversation in 5 years and point out I was right.*

Raku, smowashere, Joe4th and 5 others like this.
  17. knstadin

Regular Prestigious

Gonna put a reminder on my phone aswell! :crylaugh:

coleslawed likes this.
  18. CMilliken

Trusted

Don’t know how much I like this. And knowing Disney this won’t be Netflix or HBO Go cheap.

Turkeylegz, Kingjohn_654 and fenway89 like this.
  19. Fox83

Trusted

Netflix has been building a large library of original content for a reason. HBO charges $15/month for their standalone service, and Netflix is building more original content and will likely exceed HBO's number of shows/films by the time Disney unbundles if they haven't already

Raku and knstadin like this.
  20. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Standalone ESPN has promise.

21. Walkabout

Regular

And so begins the bursting of the Netflix bubble. I welcome it.

Raku likes this.
  22. Walkabout

Regular

The problem isn't quantity of content, it's quality. HBO constantly releases fantastic content while Netflix has one or two hits and then a lot of hot garbage.

Raku and knstadin like this.
  23. AshlandATeam

Trusted

To be fair, how much Disney is on Netflix compared to the other billion shows and movies that are on there? There are several movies on Hulu too, but it doesn't seem like a huge loss for anyone, since it isn't like Disney was putting a ton of stuff on anyone's services.

As an aside, can I say that by having Netflix and Hulu, and buying individual episodes of Doctor Who on Amazon, and watching Game of Thrones with friends, that my television watching needs are met absolutely perfectly at the moment? Like... I couldn't ask for anything better than what I have at this exact second. I want to freeze time and have nothing change, ever.

Raku, fenway89 and Kingjohn_654 like this.
  24. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

Why do you continue to blame language barrier for being wrong?

Raku, fenway89 and Dirty Sanchez like this.
  25. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

For me all this is gonna do is make me buy more Disney movies and like Jason said, will likely cause more piracy for many.

Raku, Jason Tate and fenway89 like this.