Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Man Spraypaints Twitter Office Sidewalk With Abusive Tweets It Refuses to Delete

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

BoingBoing:

Shahak Shapira reported hundreds of racist, sexist, abusive or otherwise hateful Tweets.

Twitter didn’t delete them, so he sprayed them on the pavement outside the company’s offices in Germany.

yeahrightdude likes this.
  2. Zip It Chris

Be kind; everyone is on their own journey.

This is the best.

3. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

Nice

4. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

Can anyone walk past the concrete which was sprayed? If so, now even little kids who walk past this area can read what the tweets said. That doesn't sound very smart to me.

Raku likes this.
  5. robargarthan

I'd be more worried about how the tweets represent our current society than children seeing bad words.

FTank, Robk, incognitojones and 10 others like this.
  6. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

And I imagine that's the very point he's making. That Twitter is facilitating an open platform for people to say and share hateful, offensive things with seemingly no responsibility taken for who may be exposed to them.

Robk, incognitojones, dylan and 9 others like this.
  7. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

Yea I mean, as if little kids don't already see this shit this on Twitter and even receive it in some instances. I've had a Twitter account since I was 13, my lil bro was 9 or 10 when he got his first account, both of us born in the 90s. I imagine kids born post 2000 have been on Twitter at even younger ages.

8. DearCory

Regular

Shahak Shapira, you're my hero.

9. Pooch

Regular

I'd be more worried about his property destruction than him being upset over bad words

Raku likes this.
  10. lolfpcmlol

Regular

So they can facilitate hateful and offensive speech, if they took some responsibility to keep it away from certain eyes? I am not sure why the second part of the statement is needed.

Also, I'm sorry but this act is vandalism, irresponsible and hypocritical. It's got people talking and if Twitter removes the tweets and is more reactive in the future it will have had a positive impact, but I still can't justify or claim there should be no consequences. As others have said, he's worried about people reading those things on Twitter, but has no problem spraying them in public?

Also that's crazy that 9 & 10 year old kids have twitter accounts.

Raku likes this.
  11. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

Genuine protests are driven by the idea of risking facing consequences to make a statement

coleslawed and Aaron Mook like this.
  12. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

Oh I'm not suggesting there shouldn't be consequences for the guy's vandalism - I was simply trying to state his point and motivation. Nor am I suggesting that my point was that Twitter should keep its offensive content from certain eyes; I think they should take more responsibility for moderating users and content because they're knowingly providing an open platform in which they can't control who then is exposed to hateful speech (whether it be specific victims its directed at, children, etc.). But I've always taken issue with platforms like Twitter, and website comment sections with minimal moderation that in providing a platform for hate speech in some way validate it, or at least provide a voice and medium for it to spread and proliferate.

13. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

Found the cop.

14. Pooch

Regular

15. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

What's ur badge number

Fucking Dustin likes this.