Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Fall Out Boy Push Back Album Release

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Fall Out Boy are pushing the release of their new album back to January 19th. A message from Patrick Stump can be read below.

So I wrote a long note trying to explain why we’re pushing our record back and then in my Patrick fashion I accidentally deleted it. So here’s my second attempt.

Oh! Wait, yes: We are pushing the record release date pack to January 19th. I didn’t mention that. Yeah…pretty big bummer. We had some long talks and a lot to weigh about it all and collectively thought that was best.

I love the way Kanye just goes “Screw it, I’m gonna rewrite the whole record yo., already downloaded because I’m an artist and I can do crazy shit like that.” This isn’t that though. The album just really isn’t ready, and it felt very rushed. I’m never going to put a record out I genuinely don’t believe is at least as strong or valid as the one that came before it and in order to do that we need a little more time to properly and carefully record solid performances.

I know we’re supposed to come up with some really exciting story to spin in pull-quotes about how the studio exploded and I ran in to save Pete’s bass or something. Or like aliens stole the master tapes. That would be fun for sure but the truth is, we just want the record to be better than we can make it in the next couple weeks and it will require a little more time.

Thanks for understanding and really sorry to keep everybody waiting.

We can’t wait to see you on the MANIA tour soon! UK/Europe we haven’t forgotten about you either.

2. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

As long as they change their sound from the previously released songs then they can take as long as they need.

3. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

Makes sense. Never really seems to be a good idea to set a date before your album is done.

4. ... both songs are currently still on the record ...

5. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

Dangggggg.

6. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

This is still so weird to me but it's for the best

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  7. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

I feel like we all saw this coming

8. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

I want to make a joke about pushing it back indefinitely :-)

Raku, Bryan Diem, CMilliken and 2 others like this.
  9. Phil507

Resident NYC snob Supporter

Young And A Menace grew on me and I dig Champion. I....have a feeling there may be outside forces having a say in this in terms of its commercial viability but if it's what the band wants, it's what should happen. Also, it seems odd to do an arena tour without new product out unless it's mostly older material.

10. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

Didn't like any of those new songs, that one just sounded like balls on a Thursday.

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  11. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

The only thing I don't like about "Young and Menace" is the title. Such awkward phrasing.

12. Bayside 182

Wolverine Supporter

I hope it's good but not a big fan of the approach in releasing singles slowly as the record is still being written. I understand it's a marketing factor which is why they did it but I don't feel it's conducive to the best music. Seems like they realized this before putting out something they didn't love.

13. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Isn't the dubstep more awkward?

14. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

I'm not really into electronic music, but I think the categorization of this song as "dubstep" is incredibly overblown. And no, I don't find it awkward at all. Jarring? Sure, especially on first listen. But I find it really well done and engaging; I mean the drumming in those sections alone is like :-O

Essie, Jason Tate and scottlechowicz like this.
  15. Loved Young and Menace, already sick of Champion. I'm glad they're taking more time. I feel like bands shouldn't force themselves to meet deadlines like that. Any creative process should just be allowed to play out in the way it needs to.

16. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

Entirely accurate post

BigMouth likes this.
  17. WasEmoRocknowImjustold

Not newbie, I think Supporter

They played Champion on a late night show and I've never seen them look more disinterested or dead tired. Hopefully this puts some passion back into them!

18. This is why announcing a release date for yr album well before it's even finished is a fucking stupid move. Respect them for doing this. I think the two new songs (that may or may not make the cut for the finished album) are absolute trash but they don't want to put their names to something they're not completely happy with, and I can get behind that. Hopefully Young and Menace & Champion are shitcanned, but who knows at this point?

19. Lots of artists do it, especially major label artists. It's how you get albums in your ears with faster roll outs.
    I mean, they're still on the album based on everything the band's said. We know how many tracks are on the album already, they're just not all finished.

Carrow likes this.
  20. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

To each their own. I remember playing it in my car and as soon as that kicked in- I laughed and barely could finish the track. It's just so awful in my opinion.

I don't mind Champion aside from the background vocals of Pat repeating "Champion... Champion... Champion". That really annoys me but overall Champion is one of the better modern FOB songs.

SamLevi11 likes this.
  21. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

The doesn't mean they still can't change the sound of unreleased songs on the album.

22. Didn't know that, it's pretty risky IMO for a band to set a date until their record is, like, 80% in the can across the board, but then I guess in those cases they're able to stand behind what they said before locking themselves into a release cycle before finishing the other 20%. Bands can sometimes be reluctant to let go of songs they've written until they get out of the creative headspace and look at things objectively, and then I guess things like this can happen.

23. You'll have a hard time getting anything pressed to vinyl, let alone set up a full major label roll out, if you don't set a release date relatively early. And, at the time, everyone said they were shocked they announced this so early, but they had some new stuff they wanted to release and get out there for the summer. Didn't quite work out. PVRIS had a similar thing, thankfully they didn't push theirs back too much. And, well, Brand New just don't tell people when they do this. heh.

KidLightning likes this.
  24. I mean, I think we kinda know what the band sounds like in 2017 ...

25. Phil507

Resident NYC snob Supporter

Centuries was released a full four months ahead of AB/AS