Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Portugal. The Man Continue to Dominate Charts

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. Ska Senanake

Trusted

Fook mi fook u fook yeah

Serenity Now likes this.
  3. jeff.dart

Regular

good for them, it's a solid album and they deserve the success. side note, that's a pretty nice top 20 list of songs/artists.

4. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Happy for PTM but I wish I enjoyed Woodstock more. It doesn't feel as complete as a record like the rest of their discography does.

Jakob Allen likes this.
  5. DallasSF

This one's going to end up on a "NOW!" CD.

Mr. Serotonin and SEANoftheDEAD like this.
  6. Gnarly Charlie

Good guy, but a bad dude

I love it but I agree. Nowhere near as cohesive as the last few albums. Feels like a mixtape at times

Jakob Allen and mattylikesfilms like this.
  7. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

It feels like all these songs were just slapped together. Closing with "Noise Pollution" (a song I loved when I first heard it) after "Tidal Wave" (arguably one of the best if not the best on the record) is bizzare and doesn't flow at all.

Woodstock is easily their weakest record IMO. I enjoy the record for the most part... but compared to Satanic, Church Mouth, Mountains, and especially Evil Friends? Not a strong record at all.

A huge part of me thinks the guys just overthought "Gloomin+Doomin" and scrapped a record that would have been stronger. Hopefully they release G+D next year!

Serenity Now and Jakob Allen like this.
  8. whitenblue88

The rivalry is back on

Counter point: Woodstock is very good and is the first PTM record to click with me start to finish

9. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

I'm sure it'll gain them a ton of new fans. It's very accessible and it's essentially their "mainstream" record compared to the rest of their discography. Great for them (mean it) but it's a little of a bummer for fans that know they can achieve much greater heights (cause they already have).

Serenity Now and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  10. Jakob Allen

Trusted

Its funny because I feel the same way, Woodstock just feel all over the place and not the same quality we are used to. However, Zach says this is the type of music they always wanted to write but that they "just didnt know how". Which just seems odd to me. Like all their past music was just them writing what they knew how to and it was better. Yet they wanted to release music that wasnt as good, but didnt know how.

Serenity Now and mattylikesfilms like this.
  11. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Yeah I don't get that. The song writing is just so... basic here. Some songs are pretty great in its own way, even if it is basic in comparison to their discography ("Tidal Wave", "Keep On", and "Rich Friends" come to mind), but I don't get how they always strived for this?

I was listening to Church Mouth and Evil Friends yesterday and I'm still in awe of those records. In the Mountains is also a lot better than I gave it credit for initially.

Serenity Now likes this.
  12. fbrrocks

Trusted

love this bleachers, sir sly, fosters, vance joy, new politics, and k.flay. Aka some of my favs of this year

13. Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

I like this record for what it is: something "basic" that still has surprises, artistic quality, & good lyircs.

No shame in throwing this on in the background of a house party or group car ride and it usually plays well with people that aren't fans of this "scene".

BEsterley likes this.
  14. latortuga

Regular

As someone who has never listened to PTM before, I really really enjoyed Woodstock. Accessible, quirky, catchy, songs that don't run together and each have their own character. Really fun record.