Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Slaughter Beach, Dog – Motorcycle.jpg

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Slaughter Beach, Dog is back with Motorcycle.jpg. While Modern Baseball is on a bit of a break, Jake Ewald is taking some time to work on his solo project more. It’s the third release from him since the project debuted in 2015. Last year we received a full-length out of the project and this new EP is a great extension of that.

Since Jake is a main songwriter for Modern Baseball, it’s to be expected that you’ll see glimpses of that here. The EP starts off with “Your Cat,” in which he jokes about Jesus either bringing him back to life as a disciple or as someone’s cat. These songs don’t touch on quite as heavy topics as the Modern Baseball songs do. There’s a lightheartedness to this EP and you can tell that Jake is having fun with it.

With the songs relying heavily on acoustic guitar, things are kept intimate. Everything culminates in “Building the Ark,” in which Jake sings of Vegas and violent dreams. Motorcycle.jpg gives some nice insight into the variety of songs he can write. If you have about 15 minutes to spare, you should spend it listening to this. It might not have you out of your seat and jumping around like a Modern Baseball song, but it’s still immensely enjoyable.

2. heymynameisjoe Jul 25, 2017
    (Last edited: Sep 2, 2017)
    heymynameisjoe

when the days have no numbers Prestigious

i really dig jake's songwriting and this ep is a solid follow up to 'welcome.' it's great to see him continuing to make music!

3. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this. Makes me miss MoBo even more. His lyrical play and vocal inflections are so unique, it's good to hear his voice.

4. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

This is great.

I really miss MoBo's more playful second album, which this has in spades, and how they mixed real emotions on songs like Your Graduation or Pothole with more light hearted tracks like Broken Cash Machine. Hopefully when they return they bring some of that back, and Holy Ghost was great but I missed that vibe.

5. Michael Qualiano

mikeq

Nice review. excited to give it a listen. Holy Ghost was an immensely impactful record for me without previously enjoying Mobo's early records.

6. I'm glad jake is still creating music. He's a great songwriter