Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Nielsen Release Mid-Year Report

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Nielsen have released their mid-year report:

For the rst time in Nielsen Music history, R&B/Hip-Hop has become the largest share of overall volume (Album + TEA + SEA), with 25.1% of the total volume coming from the R&B/Hip-Hop genre. Rock, which had always been the largest genre in the past, slips to second with 23% of the total volume.

R&B/Hip-Hop has become the largest genre by dominating share of streaming consumption. Over 30% of audio on-demand streaming comes from R&B/Hip-Hop, nearly as much as the next two genres combined (Rock 18% and Pop 13%).

If you don’t want to give Nielsen a bunch of personal information, you can read the report here.

2. joey-wan kenobi

Happiness is a warm gun mama

I'm to blame for streaming all the Future and Kendrick songs

Spencer Rhoton likes this.
  3. charlie foti

A lot of rap music that was obtained essentially for free years ago got put on streaming sites like spotify and now those mixtapes are finally giving credit as sales and making an impact in that manner. mixtapes that have been free off the rip like dedication and all those dj drama mixtapes are now getting credit as sales. Think about if this service was availble ten years ago when that shit came out, the industry would be a lot different now.... rap has been the biggest in america for a while now.... mixtapes have been fucking lowkey messing with the industry

4. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

Pardon me for being dumb but what's the difference under album sales for:

Various Artists More Life and Drake More Life?

5. 30% is insane, I wonder when that bubble is going to burst and what will replace it?

Raku likes this.