Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The All-American Rejects and Dashboard Confessional Song Swap

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. JamesMichael

Software Engineer Prestigious

Wasn't a fan of either...

Raku and marceting like this.
  3. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

Was hoping for deep cut choices

Raku likes this.
  4. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

They're both less than spectacular, but AAR's is the stronger of the two.

5. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

I wish they would have gone for less obvious songs.

Raku likes this.
  6. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

I didn't think the production was great on Dashboard's cover, but i liked it better overall than AAR's cover.

7. jorbjorb

7 rings

They both should be opening for the Maine. just horrible.

Raku and Brent like this.
  8. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

To be fair, AAR's new songs were pretty good! Agree about the covers though, and that The Maine are amazing. That new album of there's was ridiculously good.

jorbjorb and JamesMichael like this.
  9. Not a huge fan of Chris' vocal approach on the Move Along cover, but otherwise it wasn't bad. Pretty faithful to the original, pretty much what I'd imagine that song sounding like if it came out in 2017

The Hands Down cover.... is messy. Haha. I like what they went for but it just sounds really cluttered and poorly mixed for most of the song, that second verse in particular. Interesting vocals from Tyson for sure.

I'm sure both bands had fun though, cool idea for a tour promo!

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  10. emeryk3

Wharf Mice

Didn't really like Chris' voice much but DC still did okay with Move Along... but what the fuck was that, AAR? That was horrendous.

11. Matt504

Trusted Prestigious

I actually enjoy that AAR just went crazy with it, took a risk...

12. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

Those were really, really bad.

Raku likes this.
  13. [removed]

Trusted Prestigious

New Found Glory covered Dashboard better.

Raku, marceting and trevorshmevor like this.
  14. Iamhollywood315

Regular

either soundcloud sucks or the production is just off. It sounded very muddy and not well mixed and was overproduced.

15. TedSchmosby

Trusted

I really like the despondent sounding verses in Hands Down. I get that the highs in the original chorus wouldn't have fit with what they were going for, but I wish they had distinguished the choruses vocally some way.

Move Along sounded good. Chris has a bit of rasp there that I'm not super into, but his highs and his quasi-screams sounded good. Industrial emo. Love it

16. jaubut

can someone rip these for me?

17. KyleAtGalaxy

Regular

A video of them playing laser tag together would've been more enjoyable. Maybe not as interesting but definitely more enjoyable.

Raku and Davjs like this.
  18. DesolateEarth

Birb

Man I like the original "Hands Down" but that AAR version did not do it any favors. Yikes.

19. gbuffers

England.

Wow... when this was first announced I was really excited to hear them - I enjoy listening to both bands, albeit admittedly more their older stuff.

Both just seem... awful.

Also is that how Chris sings now? His vocals just sounded annoying for some reason and I love his voice. Such a shame.

20. thebencarter

I love when bands do this. It's fun and a cool way to give something to fans.

Chris's cover was cool - I would have liked Dance Inside or I For You; a deeper cut.

I appreciated the creative weird take AAR did, I would have loved a really direct cover of the song. His vocals would have crushed a version like that. Oh well, still really fun.

21. parkerxcore

Somebody's gonna miss us Supporter

I laughed so hard at this :thumbup:

Raku and KyleAtGalaxy like this.
  22. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Neither of these did much for me.

Raku likes this.
  23. devenstonow

Noobie

What's with Chris and random electronic covers? His NFG covers from that split maaaaaaany years ago are similar to this

24. You think so? I remember those covers being very Postal Service-y.

25. devenstonow

Noobie

That's a better comparison than how I described it. The first verse at least reminds me a bit of those covers.

And the beginning of Hands Down sounds kinda like the Pixies IMO. Rest is an interesting take.

but this is the ultimate version of Hands Down