Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

How Editor Paul Machliss Cut Baby Driver in Real Time

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Michael Maher, writing at Premium Beat, looks at how Paul Machliss worked with Edgar Wright to edit parts of Baby Driver in real time to make sure what they were filming would work:

The distance between production and post-production on the film was seemingly non-existent: “Baby Driver is probably the ultimate expression of the way Edgar and I work together. Built from some reshoots we did on Scott Pilgrim, then to The World’s End we put together a lot of the action scenes together with me on set. To this film, where actually Edgar saying ‘Yeah, you know I think I might want you out there everyday’ basically…”

And:

“This was editing quite literally on the fly. Edgar sitting next to me yelling ‘Cut,’ I could immediately grab the shot from video assist, and we’d put this little sequence together exactly in this manner.”

2. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Read this yesterday. As an editor, I found this especially interesting to read.

JRGComedy and Chase Tremaine like this.
  3. That's super cool

4. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Are you a freelance editor?

5. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Nah. I edit corporate videos for the most part. Training/sales videos and what not.

JRGComedy likes this.