Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Matt Skiba Talks With Music Radar

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Matt Skiba of Blink-182 talked with Music Radar:

I’m not doing something I haven’t ever done before; it’s just on a different scale and with different guys. I’m really lucky that lightning struck twice in my life. When all is said and done, it was a pretty easy transition. Yes, there were moments of total terror and panic, but that’s life. That’s just wanting to do a great job.

And:

We had a group of songs that we still may or may not use, I don’t know. There’s way more material than just what is on the deluxe record; there’s a whole other record’s worth of material that I personally thought sounded too much like Alkaline Trio.

That’s how I write; it’s hard to change. It’s like you can’t just change your fingerprint. We discussed the record at length and made sure that we didn’t just really like it, we had to love it. You can’t put something out that is anything short of true love and true pride.

2. DickyCullz

I create content for some of your favorite artists

Can't wait for a new Alk3 record

BKO5950505 likes this.
  3. youll be fine Jul 11, 2017
    (Last edited: Jul 11, 2017)
    youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

Can't imagine the feeling of being in a popular band like Alkaline Trio and able to make a living and then being in a second band like Blink-182 and probably becoming extremely well off, And maybe even outright rich. Good for Matt

4. Need some new trio

5. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

A3's last record was their best in years. I love the new blink songs that totally have those trio moments

6. bransco2010

i can't not listen to something that Matt is a part of, but i'm personally in the camp that would so much rather have another Trio record right now than another Blink record.

summertimejesus likes this.
  7. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

The DLX had a lot of Trio moments and My Shame Is True was aces. Whatever keeps Skiba cranking out tunes is fine by me.

Ryan likes this.
  8. cricketandclover

Things have changed.

He is definitely rich now.

9. honkytonk

Narcissism on narcotics

Matt's made so much money in the past 2 years haha, what a life changing opportunity!

After relistening to California with the deluxe tracks, I'm enjoying it a lot more than I did last year. Still, My Shame Is True is great, it's become one of my favourite pop punk records. I'd rather hear new Alkaline Trio than new Blink-182.

summertimejesus, Ryan and Daniel182 like this.
  10. knstadin

Regular Prestigious

"Crimson" was (still is) a masterpiece and one of my all time fav. albums. "This Addiction" felt pretty weak followup IMO and "Damnesia" lost me for real..:eh:Didn't even bother to check out their last one..

11. Daniel182

Let's hold our breath until we disappear

Listen to My Shame Is True. Their best work in many years.

You also skipped Agony & Irony.

knstadin likes this.
  12. knstadin

Regular Prestigious

oh my bad.. Just checked now.. "Damnesia" was a best of acoustic .. I actually wanted to say "Agony & Irony" lost me completely and gave up on them.. I remember the lead single from "My Shame is True" with Milla Jovovich starring in their music video.. video was cool but song didn't do it for me.. :eh: From what I heard back in the day (reviews, msg boards etc) "Crimson" was their more experimental work, not the real alk3 style/sound and the followups were "back to the roots" sound.. I guess the "real" alk3 sound was never meant for me :concerned:

13. Daniel182

That makes sense, and I'd generally agree with those comments. Except I wouldn't call Agony & Irony roots style Alkaline Trio.

knstadin likes this.
  14. knstadin

Regular Prestigious

You seem like a real Alk3 fan, what's you thoughts on "Crimson"? Do you consider it as one of their best? Still very strange to me that I can listen that album from start to finish without skipping a track but I can't get into their earlier work or any releases after "Crimson" Ofcourse I like some random songs here and there but nothing comes close to "Crimson" level of enjoyment.

15. snaps

Regular Supporter

I would really like to hear the stuff he thought sounded too much like alkaline trio.

summertimejesus likes this.
  16. Daniel182

I like Crimson, but it's lower tier in their catalog for me. I was pretty disappointed with it when it was released, but it has grown on me a lot over the years. My top two records of theirs are From Here to Infirmary and Goddamnit.

I understand how fans like yourself love it as a first impression of the band, though.

summertimejesus and knstadin like this.
  17. knstadin Jul 11, 2017
    (Last edited: Jul 11, 2017)
    knstadin

Regular Prestigious

Yeh..I remember lots of people being disappointed with this album and I was like "the fk is wrong with them?" but then I realized their earlier albums were nothing like "Crimson". I got into them after watching "Time to Waste" music video like insta-hooked!-Omg-new-fav-band! type of excitement..:crylaugh:You'll probably kill me if I tell you "Sadie" is my absolutely fav. song by them? "Your Neck" as well.. I always blast my speakers whenever it comes on my pop-punk playlist :eh:

Daniel182 likes this.
  18. DesolateEarth

Birb

Crimson is also my favorite. I loved the progression that From Here To Infirmary to Good Mourning to Crimson took and that record was the high point in their career for me. I was also disappointed with the 2 records that followed, but My Shame Is True was a step up from those and easily their best since Crimson.

Daniel182 likes this.
  19. terps12

Regular

As a longer-term fan of the band (I think my first album was MICF), I thing the songs on Crimson largely hold up, however the production is awful. I find myself revisiting the deluxe edition (with the demos) far more often than the original album.

Daniel182 likes this.
  20. knstadin

Regular Prestigious

Generally speaking, I never had serious issues about production.. for example..I'm a huge The Strokes fan, I love their past lo-fi garage grit sound as much as I love their present glossy synth-poppy style. In my opinion a well written song will still be good in any form (raw, glossy or even played live with ukulele) But ofcourse I get what you mean.."Crimson" is indeed a crystal clear poppy sounding album in comparison with their older stuff.

Glad to hear this and I'll definitely give that album a chance :thumbup: