Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Dangerous Summer Return

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

The Dangerous Summer are reuniting and will be releasing new music and touring. You can read the band’s full statement below. There are also some new pressings of the band’s catalog on vinyl up for sale.

4 years ago, we played our final show in Australia. We didn’t know when we would see that stage again, when I came off stage I assumed that was it, The Dangerous Summer was over. I went off to be a father, and the other guys went in their own directions with music. We had talked about coming back together to write the next record when we felt the time was right, but we never made it to that point, it felt really far away. We fell apart before we could get back in that room together. It was hard on all of us to watch the band fall apart in front of our eyes, a band that helped us grow up and travel the world through these songs.

The years rolled on, and we heard our name echo throughout the world, and in some incredible places. We watched The Dangerous Summer live an entire life of its own without us. We were looking in from the outside, and it really put everything into perspective; those songs we wrote over the years really held their meaning. In February Matt, Ben and I considered playing some shows together again, to begin a new chapter. Once we started talking about the ideas, we realized that we really wanted to write a new record above anything else. We wanted to push the art forward, because we always believe in the music, above everything else.

That was the beginning of this new chapter. We didn’t even really consider the reality of the venture, we just truly wanted to make the next album. We had a couple of demos, and so I called up Eric at Hopeless Records to tell him about it. That is when everything picked up like a wildfire. We started heavily writing music again, and it felt like we didn’t skip a beat as a band. There was so much genuine love and support from all of the people around us. We picked up everything where we left off, but with more positivity than ever before. We re-signed with Hopeless Records over the summer, and here we are today. There will be a full length album in 2018, we enter the studio next we to begin recording our new full length. To mark the occasion, we are going to headline a very special comeback show this September in Baltimore, where it all began.

2. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

Whhhoooppppppp!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. artbynickferran

nickferran.com

So beyond excited for this band to be back again. I've never flown anywhere for a show before, but I'll be damned if I'm not at that reunion show.

4. Mr. Serotonin

Ya'll better dive on those tickets! That is a TINY venue.

5. Frank Lapidus

Regular Supporter

Stoked for this. I was bummed that towards the middle and end of their first run all the outside crap surrounding the band overshadowed the solid records they would release. I am excited about another TDS album and hope that they can stay away from the drama and focus on what has always been their strongest suit; the music.

6. AshlandATeam

Trusted

Reach for the Sun is a friggin classic. War Paint and Golden Record are both solid. This band really could have been something special without Cody.

Here's hoping what they come out with next gets three a whole mess of new fans that can discover them and they can take off.

7. felipecardel

formless in the night Prestigious

what

i don't really care for this band but tell me that asshat isn't involved and maybe i'll give them another try

8. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

he is not involved

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  9. Mr. Serotonin

He's not.

10. felipecardel

formless in the night Prestigious

awesome, will give their stuff a proper listen

11. I'm in the really small minority that thinks Golden Record is their best. I'm down with this

Spencer Rhoton and AgonizingFir like this.
  12. Mr. Serotonin

I'm pretty sure Golden Record just wasn't for me. Way more down with the "poppier" stuff on RFTS and War Paint.

13. jorbjorb

7 rings

I wish they announced the return with a new song.

14. Max_123

Nope. Prestigious

I'm here for it. I think Golden Record is great, the only thing that was weird was the sequencing. I remember spending hours on AP in the album thread with others trying to perfect a better way to arrange the album lol.

15. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Reach for the Sun is classic, Golden Record is really good, War Paint is just okay

16. cwhit

wait what

war paint is pretty easily their best imo

Ryan and mattfreaksmeout like this.
  17. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Uh oh.

18. BKO5950505

Regular

War Paint >>>> Golden Record

19. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

Reach For the Sun is far and away my favorite. The other 2 are good but not great to me, with a slight edge to War Paint.

20. Micool1

Trusted Prestigious

I remember the few months after they broke up, Cody basically took over their Facebook page to promote his stuff and started talking shit and insulting the fans in the comments. I'm glad he's not involved anymore.

Arry likes this.
  21. cwhit

dude was also arrested and sentenced to time for burglary so...

22. Micool1

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah I just saw that, he's just a horrible person...

23. falconate

Open your closed mind. Prestigious

I did this too haha. What I ended up doing was just moving Drowning and Knives after Into the Comfort, and the whole thing made way more sense. My only other problem with Golden Record is the production which always just felt too thin and brittle compared to their other records.

Couldn't be more excited for this reunion though. War Paint has become one of my all time favorite albums.

24. AshlandATeam

Trusted

Coming off of RFTS, War Paint was a disappointment to me at the time. I don't do it often, but I was definitely that fan who just couldn't get past the fact that they hadn't made a sequel to their prior work. My loss, I guess. When Golden Record came around, my expectations were lower, and they were exceeded. So at the time they were active, I would have said GR was better than WP.

A few months ago I gave them all sit down listens again and changed my mind - I think War Paint is the better album. RFTS is essentially perfect in my mind, though, so neither is close to that. I think there's a pretty big fall between that and their other work. Also, I think I like the 'If You Could Only Keep Me Alive' EP better than WP and GR too. I think I like their poppier stuff to their heavier stuff, is what that probably means.

25. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

Dale Earnhardt Jr is stoked.