Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Mark and Matt Talks Next Blink-182 Album

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 6, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

NME sat down with Mark Hoppus and Matt Skiba of Blink-182:

I think this album took Blink back to its roots and what it’s all about, and I think on the next record, we want to push that boundary again. We’ll keep the core of Blink 182 but we’ll get a little more experimental. Kind of like what we did on the untitled record, which we’re all really proud of. It still sounded like Blink and had that Blink feeling, but it was different and a little more thought out.

Music to my ears.

2. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

That's incredible news

3. Bayside 182

Wolverine Supporter

I would much rather a new Alkaline Trio Album so hopefully both can happen. Also, I can't belive they are still doing the burning F**K on stage. I saw them do that in 2002.

honkytonk, Zilla, pauljgreco and 3 others like this.
  4. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

I hope that it's like untitled, but I'm losing any faith after California Deluxe, which lost me more faith after California main... but hey, I'm not opposed to being surprised

alex miller and Brenden like this.
  5. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

The last A3 record was great, and I dig California a crap ton still a year later, I have faith in these guys can't wait.

6. Yeah I'm a fan of California but this is exactly what I wanted. Now just announce a different producer and I'll be 100% on board. Feldmann was both a blessing and a curse for California.

7. fran.182

Regular Prestigious

Great news, but I can't see it happening with Feldmann on board. He is the definition of a one-dimensional producer...

Raku, Zilla, DejaMoi and 1 other person like this.
  8. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

Imagine that you've heard pop punk before but never anything by blink-182. Someone plays California for you. Your reaction would be "holy shit, these are great songs!" not "ugh, more of the same."

Good musicians make good music. I trust these guys to write more good tunes, especially if they really mean they want to break out of their comfort zone. Mark has shown more of an attempt to do that in the past with +44 and his remixes, and certainly Skiba is all over the board.

Put those three and NEAL AVRON in a fucking room for three months and give us whatever happens after 90 days. The end.

9. Dirty Sanchez

Prestigious Prestigious

Rick Rubin or Jack Antonoff is my vote! ;-p

10. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

California was the equivalent of empty carbs for me. No real lasting power for me personally.

With that said, I would love to be surprised by the new record. Here's to hoping they drop the "ohhhhhh ohhhh" and "na na na na" and implement some interesting instrumentals instead.

11. motifsinthecity

I think a new producer would do wonders for this incarnation of blink. Some of the song writing on California is really rushed and sloppy. For as many hooks as Feldmann coaxed out of them, he didn't seem to act like a very good editor. That said, it would be hard to recapture that untitled sound without Jerry Finn at the helm.

If I'm Mark, I'd be interested to see if Joe McGrath is free to act as producer/engineer. He's previously worked as an engineer on Good Mourning, Box Car Racer, Sing The Sorrow/Decemberundeground, and Take Off Your Pants and Jacket. When I think about the mix of sounds on that untitled blink record, nearly all those albums touch on them in some way. It's impossible to replace Jerry Finn but I think looking at those records/sounds as reference points might be helpful.

fredwordsmith and David Parke like this.
  12. backbynewyears

At least they seem to be aware that California didn't sound very "thought out". As a lifelong Blink fan, I absolutely understood what they were going for, but it just wasn't for me at all.

I usually get a lot of hate for saying this, but I genuinely loved Neighborhoods and was hoping they'd continue with that type of progression. Obviously I knew that wouldn't be the case after Tom left.

Raku, youwontknow, fran.182 and 3 others like this.
  13. Gen Handley

Regular

Same here. I know it's immature, but I miss AK3.

14. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

RECORD AT THE BLASTING ROOM PLEASE

15. cricketandclover

Things have changed.

Jack Antonoff working with blink would be a disaster.

There's about a 0% chance they change producers.

16. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

I mean they dropped the "oh's" and "na's" for the majority of the deluxe so I'm not worried about that part

17. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

Bill Stevenson would kill it with them

18. I'm thankful the band do what they wanna do after reading some comments.

19. BTDandFeelingThis likes this.
  20. BTDandFeelingThis

Now I Know This World Isn’t Spinning Just For Me Prestigious

The hype is real with this one

David Parke likes this.
  21. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

I quite liked Vices and Virtues but I have no idea how involved he was with that album

David Parke and youwontknow like this.
  22. youwontknow

If I smile with my teeth, bet you'd believe me

Blink ('92-'12) > AVA > Boxcar Racer > +44 >>> California > California Deluxe. I'm happy they're still creating - but the latest was not for me. I hope they can bring it back to relevant, catchy and sustainable.

23. Literally what they are right now though. More so than they've been in over a decade.

24. Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

Good news.

Hope this means lyrics about topics that are more appropriate for their age.

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  25. Nah, I think it's better to love what you do every single day, play to millions of people every year, and become a known band for an entire new generation of fans all while traveling the world and loving your life. You not liking it doesn't really mean anything beside that you don't like it. Welcome to what tons of people thought in the 90's about the band too.

And Tom chases easy money every damn day, you must not have signed up for any of his emailing lists.