Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Hayley Williams Talks with The Fader

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

The Fader has a pretty interesting interview with Hayley Williams of Paramore:

She tells me that after we spoke, she had a panic attack in her car. She apologizes profusely for how this encounter has played out, and tells me that she felt triggered when I asked about the fallout from the lawsuit with her former bandmate. She says that legal reasons make it difficult for her to know what she can and cannot say, and that it both bores her and stresses her out that every recent story about the band has focused on band drama and not on the songs. Fair enough. I keep digging, though, and eventually she admits it was more than that, but that she is having a hard time explaining, or figuring out for herself, what it is.

I offer to let her sleep on it, telling her I was now likely to write about this strange episode, and that it might be good if she provided a more fully realized account from her own perspective. This idea, to my surprise, seems to immediately pique her interest. She quickly agrees and we hug, then go bowling at a little neon spot that doesn’t seem to have changed the decor since the 1980s.

The entire thing is worth reading.

2. This article fucked me up in a good way - it felt so uncomfortable at times but that’s what life is. Appreciate this kind of journalism

3. johnthegawd

@theinsideoutband

This was such a well written and insightful look into hayleys head, i enjoyed that a lot. Also starting to come around to their new style. The pop theyre making feels more honest now than it did on their last record.

4. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

Yea that was a very cool read. Wasn't an interview transcript and yet felt way more informative.

5. kielhauck

itsalldead.com @kielhauck

Fantastically written.

6. kait_whiteside

Man, I related so hard to this entire paragraph:

'This melancholy is different than her teenage problems — it’s more reflective, adult, debilitating. She says she’s been struggling with depression these past couple of years, punctuated by times in which she stayed in bed all day watching old episodes of The Office. She says it got so bad, at certain moments, that she fixated on death way too much for her own comfort and found a therapist: “For the first time in my life, there wasn’t a pinhole of light at the end of the tunnel. I thought, I just wish everything would stop. It wasn’t in the sense of, I’m going to take my life. It was just hopelessness. Like, What’s the point? I don’t think I understood how dangerous hopelessness is. Everything hurts.”'

7. aniafc

Trusted

Great read. Also, of course Hayley drives a Fiat -- I can see her cruising around in those tiny cars.

8. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

What a fantastically written article. Loved how real it felt.

Still think the album is weaker than the S/T and Brand New Eyes but it's still enjoyable.

9. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

Their brutal honesty this time around is so incredible and inspiring. It's so hard to have a frank conversation about depression and anxiety, and I can only imagine how much harder it becomes when everyone is obsessing over every word and detail you let slip. Hayley is such a wonderful and generous person, and I hope that her mental health improves as she continues with therapy and writing music. This and deserves the world.

Petit nain des Îles and Aregala like this.
  10. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

I relate to this a whooooooooole lot.

One time I too was almost forced to write with Chad Kroeger.

11. Supernova

Prayers/Triangles Prestigious

I figured there was something wrong with her and Chad at some point considering neither of them post about each other anymore that I can see. Maybe they keep that part of themselves separate and reclusive. Those lyrics in Forgiveness make it sound like something very hurtful happened. This of course is none of my business and not trying to get a topic started, but it's something that came to mind.

12. Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

The whole deal about a separate contract with Atlantic is weird.