Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Best of 2017 … So Far (Encore Episode 150) Podcast

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 30, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

On this week’s episode of Encore I am joined once again by special guest Craig Manning. This week our main topic is all about the best albums released in 2017 … so far. As we hit the midway mark of the year, it’s time for our annual tradition of discussing what albums we’ve fallen in love with during the first six months, what didn’t make the list, what we were anticipating and how those stacked up, and all that jazz. (There’s also a rant about movie theaters at the beginning because some people can’t put their phones away.)

What albums have you loved this year so far? We’d love to hear from you and see if there’s something new for us to discover as well. As always, thanks for listening.

Sponsor

Social Drinker: This week’s episode is brought to you by a band from Atlanta that will be releasing their new EP on September 8th. We play their new single “Holding.” It’s a mix of Taking Back Sunday, Third Eye Blind, and The 1975. A clip is played in the middle of the episode, the full song is at the end. You can find more information about the band’s upcoming release at their website.

Hosts

Show Notes

Jason’s Top 10

1. The Menzingers – After the Party
    2. Bleachers – Gone Now
    3. Kendrick Lamar – Damn.
    4. Paramore – After Laughter
    5. Muna – About U
    6. Aaron Sprinkle – Real Life
    7. Allie X – Collxtion II
    8. Acceptance – Colliding By Design
    9. The Maine – Lovely Little Lonely
    10. Betty Who – The Valley
    Craig’s Top 10

1. Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit – The Nashville Sound
    2. Steve Moakler – Steel Town
    3. Natalie Hemby – Puxico
    4. Colter Wall – Colter Wall
    5. Chris Stapleton – From A Room: Vol. 1
    6. The Menzingers – After the Party
    7. Andrew McMahon in the Wilderness – Zombies on Broadway
    8. Ryan Adams – Prisoner
    9. John Moreland – Big Bad Luv
    10. Sam Outlaw – Tenderheart
    Subscribe

You can subscribe to this podcast in iTunes, via any podcast player using our RSS feed, on SoundCloud, via Overcast, in Google Play, or on Stitcher. You can also find all of our previous episodes archived on our podcast page, iTunes, or on SoundCloud.

If you have any follow-up, questions, or a topic you’d like us to cover on a future episode, please send a tweet using the hashtag #askEncore. If you’d like to follow this podcast on Twitter we are at @encorepodcast. We love hearing from listeners and are always looking for topics both big and small to tackle. So, let us know!

If you like the podcast, could you please rate and review us on iTunes? It really does help. If you’re using the great podcast player Overcast, please hit the “recommended” button on the episodes you like. And if you have any friends that you think would like our podcast, please let them know! Word of mouth and telling people about this podcast will always be the best thing you can do to help us out. We really appreciate it.

Information about sponsoring our podcast can be found on this page, and if you become a member you get episodes a day early along with a bunch of other perks.

2. bachna84

we are nothing more than mannequins Prestigious

Looking forward to listening to this later today! I always enjoy the Craig episodes.

Craig Manning likes this.
  3. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Thanks! This one was a lot of fun.

bachna84 likes this.
  4. redwing91007

Next Show - Foals April 22nd

Going to listen to this one over the weekend.

Here's where I'm at with my top 10:

1. Tigers Jaw – spin

2. Dryjacket – For Posterity

3. The Smith Street Band - More Scared of You Than You Are Of Me

4. Paramore – After Laughter

5. A Will Away – Here Again

6. Oso Oso – The Yunahon Mixtape

7. Mystery Weekend – Surprise

8. Rise Against – Wolves

9. Creeper – Eternity, In Your Arms

10. The Menzingers – After the Party

5. omgrawr

That loneliness is not a function of solitude.

Haven't had a chance to listen yet. Is there going to be a mid-year list posted this year?

6. Craig Manning

Yep, coming next week.

7. omgrawr

That loneliness is not a function of solitude.

Awesome! I always look forward to those and the Spotify playlists I create for them haha

8. Craig Manning

Yep! I believe that's going up on the 5th.

omgrawr likes this.
  9. bachna84 Jun 30, 2017
    (Last edited: Jun 30, 2017)
    bachna84

Just finished listening to this - I have a lot of albums I need to check out now!

On Craig's list I've really only spent a good amount of time with the albums by The Menzingers and Andrew McMahon. I'm not familiar at all with Sam Outlaw, John Moreland, Colter Wall, Natalie Hemby or Steve Moakler but I look forward to giving those a listen!

On Jason's list I'd like to check out Betty Who, The Maine, Allie X, Aaron Sprinkle and MUNA. And Paramore and Bleachers are both so recent that I need to give those some more listens.

Really good episode, guys!

Craig Manning and Jason Tate like this.
  10. ARo24

Regular

I was just in Traverse City a few weeks ago! Great town a lot of fun up there.

11. Craig Manning

A lot of those are country or country leaning, so I'm not sure if that's your cup of tea of not. That said, most of them are a considerable distance outside of the mainstream country sound/scene, and the songwriting is so good that you might appreciate it even if you aren't a huge fan of the genre. Moreland in particular seems to have fans across every genre.

Nice! I grew up there. Still nowhere I'd rather be in the summertime.

12. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

This is probably the most I've differed with both of you, though I do share Menzingers with both lists as well as Natalie Hemby and Andrew McMahon with Craig.

How close was the All Time Low album to either of your lists?

13. Craig Manning

It's in my next 10, which I didn't put in order. Title track is probably a top 10 song of the year for me right now though.

Jason Tate and FTank like this.
  14. bachna84

I really do not listen to much country (or country leaning) music, but I am willing to check anything out at least once especially albums given high praise by you guys.

I put together a playlist with the albums you and Jason discussed and I plan on checking them out over the next couple of weeks. I'll let you know my thoughts! The Jason Isbell album is first on my list.