Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

David Bendeth Talks 10-Year Anniversary of ‘Riot!’

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

David Bendeth, who produced Paramore’s Riot!, sat down with Billboard to talk about the album’s 10-year anniversary:

It’s funny, when we started the record, all of the songs that we thought were going to be singles, never were. “When It Rains,” I thought for sure was going to be a smash at radio. In fact, John Mayer heard it and said, ‘If that’s not a hit song, I quit the business.’ “Hallelujah,” we thought that was going to be the first single at some point when we were making the record. Even with “That’s What You Get,” which I think was the third single, the song was in 6/8. It’s very difficult to make something in 6/8 sound like a normal sound for Top 40. So, I felt like the risks that had been taken paid off.

2. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

So John Mayer is a liar

trevorshmevor and JRGComedy like this.
  3. thisisacting__

Regular Supporter

I remember John having them open for a few of his shows. I was stoked because two of my favorite worlds were colliding.

4. Turkeylegz

Trusted

This album defined a huge piece of my teenage years. I will never not love this album.

5. bloodinthesand

Regular

The is 6/8 and radio single comment was very interesting..I never thought about that

noeljames and Turkeylegz like this.
  6. Me & My Arrow

John | Align in Time

Although it's funny, the chorus of "That's What You Get" is in 4/4 anyway. The biggest 6/8 radio hit I can think of is "Iris" by the Goo Goo Dolls. It's more often in ballads, like "I'm with You" and "Breathe (2AM)" (though those are pretty old reference points...there must be more recent examples).

7. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

Probably my least fav of theirs, Hallelujah and Thats What You Get are my favs thou

8. Smittzerland

First time long time (FKA musicfan9795) Prestigious

That was good, but it will never top this

I remember the first time I heard Misery Business on the radio. I was 11 or 12 at the time, starting to develop my own musical tastes. This record shaped my listening habits, and I need to revisit it for the anniversary.