Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Thom Yorke Breaks Silence on Israel Controversy

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 2, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Thom Yorke of Radiohead talked with Rolling Stone about the Israel controversy earlier this year:

I’ll be totally honest with you: this has been extremely upsetting. There’s an awful lot of people who don’t agree with the BDS movement, including us. I don’t agree with the cultural ban at all, along with J.K. Rowling, Noam Chomsky and a long list of others.

There are people I admire [who have been critical of the concert] like [English film director] Ken Loach, who I would never dream of telling where to work or what to do or think. The kind of dialogue that they want to engage in is one that’s black or white. I have a problem with that. It’s deeply distressing that they choose to, rather than engage with us personally, throw shit at us in public. It’s deeply disrespectful to assume that we’re either being misinformed or that we’re so retarded we can’t make these decisions ourselves. I thought it was patronizing in the extreme. It’s offensive and I just can’t understand why going to play a rock show or going to lecture at a university [is a problem to them].

2. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

"It’s deeply disrespectful to assume that we’re either being misinformed or that we’re so retarded we can’t make these decisions ourselves."

cmon thom...

3. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Besides his use of that word, I 100% get where he's coming from. I don't think artists should be shamed for playing a concert, and there's arguments to be had for both sides.

studskalny, AelNire, fenway89 and 4 others like this.
  4. Former Planets

Aaaachem!

Pretty happy this hasn't devolved into AbsoluteMiddleEast already...

5. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

Play in Palestine.

6. Hazelnutsack

Irregular

Oh come on, everyone at this point is well aware of the implications of the word "retarded" when used in a frustrated manner. Sure it's not the most respectful way of voicing one's opinion but you can't argue that it doesn't get the intended point across. Don't let crude language distract you from the actual meat of what's been said by Thom.

7. Nope. Still doesn't justify its use. Try again.