Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Goldfinger Announce New Album

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 24, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Goldfinger will release their new album The Knife on July 21st via Rise Records. Today they’ve released a lyric video for “Put the Knife Away.” Pre-orders are now up and the full press release can be found below.

Los Angeles’s legendary punk/ska Goldfinger is back, with the announcement of The Knife, to be released July 21 through Rise Records. After nine years of producing and writing music for other bands, Goldfinger is proud to be back with 13 tracks of their very own for their first time since the release of their 2008 album, Hello Destiny… Pre-orders for the album begin today and are available here: https://RiseRecords.lnk.to/TheKnife
    The album features a host of special guests including guest vocals from Blink-182’s Mark Hoppus, 311 lead-singer Nick Hexum, Mighty Mighty Boss Tones guitarist Nate Albert (“Get What I Need”) on guitar, Twenty One Pilots’ Josh Dun on drums (“Orthodontist Girl”), and ONE OK ROCK’s Takahiro Moriuchi, amongst others. Fans can get a first taste of the album through their first single, “Put The Knife Away”.

The Knife is not a nostalgia play; it is an evolution of the band and a reflection of the musical and life experience that singer-songwriter/producer John Feldmann who explains, “I took my time making this record…Nine years to be exact! I feel like I’ve made the most concise Goldfinger record in my career. We have all Goldfinger styles together as one, with Zakk Cervini, who mixed the Blink-182 record, and Travis Barker on drums, I couldn’t be more proud of an album.”

With 13 tracks, The Knife surges with the energy, personality, and charm that has made Goldfinger one of the most memorable acts from 90s/2000s punk. From the blaring opener “A Million Miles”, the easy-going, self-deprecating ska-influenced “Get What I Need”, the swaying struggle of “Don’t Let Me Go”, and the brassy, reggae feel of “Liftoff”, the record spans a vast spectrum of sound and tone. This variety is the result of deliberate reflection of Feldmann’s life experiences and extensive production (Blink-182, Panic! At The Disco, 5 Seconds of Summer) career over the years. With tongue-in-cheek scene commentary on “Am I Deaf?”, the interpersonal conflict of “Put the Knife Away”, or the heartwarming ode to his daughter “Milla”, Feldmann uses The Knife as a decidedly unguarded sonic update and re-introduction of himself and his thoughts.

Goldfinger’s resurgence on The Knife is not a rehearsal of past glory; it is a revolution. This is greatly echoed in the band’s revamped lineup, featuring MXPX’s Mike Herrera on bass and Story of the Year’s Phil Sneed on guitar (both doing backup vocals as well). Blink-182’s Travis Barker plays drums on the album, making the album a fitting collection from different corners of the punk world and further showcasing Feldmann’s ability to draw from and synthesize influences into a cohesive, character-infused collection of talent and art.

Goldfinger continues to build on a highly regarded legacy, where they have been considered one of the forerunners and most well-known bands of the third-wave ska/punk movement of the late 90s. Their 1996 self-titled debut Goldfinger went gold, and was named one of “The Ten Albums That Defined 1996” by Alternative Press in 2006. AllMusic said “no one had more success with this new sound than Goldfinger on their self-titled debut”, calling it “irresistibly catchy, creative, and hopelessly endearing.” 1997’s Hang-Ups reached #85 on the Billboard 200, and the single “Superman” was prominently featured on the soundtrack for the generation-defining Tony Hawk Pro Skater video game. Over 6 full-length albums and over a decade of touring, Goldfinger amassed an international fan base drawn to the band’s penchant for big choruses, attitude, and creativity of seamlessly fusing punk rock, ska, skate punk, and various other genres throughout their discography.

Goldfinger is playing select dates on Warped Tour this summer, along with dates in Europe and Canada. All dates posted below. Purchase The Knife on iTunes. Stream the album on Apple Music or Spotify.

Goldfinger is John Feldmann (vocals/guitar), Mike Herrera (bass/harmonies), and Phil Sneed (guitar/harmonies).

Track Listing

1. A Million Miles
    2. Get What I Need
    3. AM I Deaf
    4. Tijuana Sunrise
    5. Put The Knife Away
    6. Don’t Let Me Go
    7. Beacon
    8. Who’s Laughing Now
    9. Say It Out Loud
    10. Orthodontist Girl
    11. See You Around
    12. Liftoff
    13. Milla

2. domotime2 May 24, 2017
    (Last edited: May 24, 2017)
    domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

i know it's always been the John Feldman band, but this is the most John Feldman band album of all-time. It's him and all of his punk friends he's made over the years.

the new song is definitely a B-side that didn't make Blink's california btw.

Raku, nl5011 and Bayside 182 like this.
  3. Who is Scott Feldman?

Dirty Sanchez, slimfenix182 and FTank like this.
  4. Eml182

Regular

I actually was expecting bad, but this sounds like...Goldfinger, in a good way! That press release is awful though.

StoJa9 likes this.
  5. Sean Kilkenny

Didnt know the pitcher of the Reds was in Goldfinger all this time!!!

domotime2 likes this.
  6. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

I like it. Sounds like a blink-182 song. This will be an interesting album to check out.

7. domotime2

you don't know mediocre starting pitcher of the Cincinnati Reds Scott Feldman?

8. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

Sounds like Goldfinger

Actually it doesn't lol

Maybe the ska-influenced song will be ok.

Raku and JimmyIymmiJ like this.
  9. Mike Herrera and Travis Barker playing on the same album ... is like ... my childhood fantasy band draft.

10. jorbjorb

7 rings

I don't care for this song but it made me revisit "question" so that's cool.

11. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

Actually really enjoyed this song. Definitely excited to hear more.

StoJa9 likes this.
  12. Bayside 182

Wolverine Supporter

I just came here to say that. I'd be shocked if this was not a blink California demo

Raku and domotime2 like this.
  13. mmhmm

Trusted Prestigious

Well-said. What a great combination...I was hoping they both were on the album, considering their in Goldfinger's live band right now.

14. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

We already got one mediocre blink album within the year, and this sounds like the same thing.

Raku and nl5011 like this.
  15. Just finished a first listen of the album. It's good. It sounds like Goldfinger (for better or for worse, there's some skipable duds on there). It does not sound like Blink or California.

16. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

That's good to hear. This song does nothing for me so I'm glad there's some better stuff on there.

Raku likes this.
  17. HueyLewis

Regular

It's kinda hard to support this knowing the old band members all despise Feldman.

18. HueyLewis

Regular

Hopefully Better than their last two? Because I hated both of those.

JimmyIymmiJ likes this.
  19. Much better. I never listen to either of those, and I like this.

20. HueyLewis

Regular

Awesome! This gives me hope.

Edit: Any songs about being vegan?

21. domotime2

is that true?

22. didn't catch one on first listen, but there's an old-man-idontlikemusicthesedays song. Heh.

23. HueyLewis

Regular

Haha of course. Feldman's social commentary is always uninspired.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  24. HueyLewis

Regular

Ya, here's a fairly recent tweet from long time Drummer and former best friend Darrin Pfeiffer.

Edit: This sucks because Goldfinger was a favorite band of mine while in High School. I'd say their Self-Titled and Hang Ups are in my top ten favorite albums of all time. The nostalgia is strong with those two.

25. domotime2

ah blows.