Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Harry Styles Debuts at #1, Paramore at #6

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 22, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Harry Styles has the number one album in the country this week.

With Styles’ start of 193,000 he earns the biggest debut sales week for a U.K. male artist’s first full-length album since Nielsen Music began tracking sales in 1991.

Paramore came in at number six, selling around 67,000 album equivalent units. I’ve seen a few people saying this is a disappointment, and I wanna push back on that just a bit. The band selected a fast album roll-out with very minimal press. They did only a few interviews, with massive publications, and turned down requests from everyone else. They didn’t send out advances to virtually anyone, and I think knew going in this wasn’t going to be an album they pushed for the first week sales. I think it’s instead setting up their upcoming tour, they’ll have a bigger push on the second single, and the positive word of mouth will keep this album moving throughout the summer.

Basically, I don’t think it’s a disappointment, and I wouldn’t worry.

KidLightning likes this.
  2. I appreciate your perspective and explanation, @Jason Tate . @Craig Manning and I had a conversation this morning about the apparent disappointment of the first week sales. My conclusion was that the s/t may have lost the band more dedicated fans than it won. Paramore debuting at #1 was less a reflection on people's reactions to "Now" and more of a reaction to the success of Brand New Eyes, in the same way that Brand New Eyes debuted at #2 because of the success of Riot. Sure, the s/t gave the band a top 10 single, but a lot of the 2013-onward Paramore fans might not be dedicated enough to buy a new album first week.

Your assessment sounds pretty spot on, though, and I surely hope that the album and subsequent tour do well for the band throughout the rest of the year. Maybe we'll see the same pattern for singles as we did with "Now," Still Into You," and "Ain't it Fun," where each outperformed the previous one.

3. thelonelywheel

I am currently burning my disc to iTunes right now. I extremely enjoy it. Out of all the tracks, I've been playing "Fake Happy" over and over again. One of the best tracks on there.

4. ARo24

Regular

I don't think 67k is too shabby. Most weeks that gets you a much higher ranking. I think the album has potential to consistently sell and not have just one/two big weeks.

5. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Pretty awesome hold for Stapleton. 75,000 units for the second week. He crushed Logic's second week.

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  6. I don't think that's true. If anything the four year gap between the S/T and the new album is where mindshare was lost, but I don't think there's anyway to make an argument that S/T lost the band more fans than they gained, the numbers just don't support that.

7. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Get it, Harold!! I have been having so much nervous anticipation about his solo career since before they even went on hiatus, and I'm so happy that it's an album I enjoy and one that seems true to the influences he brought into 1d

Jason Tate likes this.
  8. theredline

Trusted Supporter

The only disappointment for me about Paramore was lack of vinyl. Would have bought it. I bet a lot of people wanted vinyl and didn't buy because it was lacking.

9. aniafc

Trusted

Numbers definitely do not support that. What you will see more of is, of course, people throwing around the term "selling out." This does not equate to them losing more fans than they gained, especially in the eyes of the mainstream world, I think. Big publications still cover them, maybe more than they initially did with s/t (would have to check this more to see if this is true) just because of the success that happened after s/t.

Jason Tate likes this.