Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Blink-182 – “Last Train Home”

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 19, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. youwontknow

If I smile with my teeth, bet you'd believe me

Is it just me or is the deluxe California like deluxe bad? I guess some of our bands, like a fine wine, age sooo well (BN, JEW, Paramore, many others) and I'm so grateful for them...but then others turn into California deluxe. I was/am an enormous Blink fan since I was young and I like the sound (sometimes) of these new Blink songs just 'cause...they sound like Blink. But the tunes are just bad. Just me?

3. LalalaBrian

I agree. Blink is a bunch of old guys pretending they're still 18. The end result is California, an album that loses all of its authenticity. The self-titled and even Neighborhoods were steps in the right direction, because the tone was believable. I know Tom's a bit wacko now, but at least sonically, he was doing the right thing.

4. somethingliketj

And that's why you always leave a note.

I'm loving new Blink. Most of these deluxe songs feel like B-Sides (and they are, remember), but a few of them were standouts to me. "Parking Lot", "Good Old Days" and "Don't Mean Anything" are all pretty rad.

5. CampfireColorado

Regular

I love Blink and I loved California, it just bums me out that I basically have to pay 12 bucks for a bunch of b-sides.

6. Raku

Regular

As per usual at this point, they release another generic song.

Cool for those who dig it, but this isn't for me =/

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  7. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

Thank you for justifying my craziness.

Raku likes this.
  8. meekers

It think its amazing that you can get three amazing and creative musicians all in the same room and you get shit like this, the other stuff on the deluxe and arguably, most of California. I think all of you blaming the production are spot on. It's as if anything human, organic, or interesting they do just gets put into the Feldman production/song writing machine and it spits out this commodified, shitty, generic version of Blink. I was excited about the idea of Matt in the band and don't always love some of Tom's far fetched ideas, but all this new stuff just has a overproduced sheen to it that I can't get into.

9. MightyBrian

This is where I am suppose to write something cool Prestigious

How long dose it take to make these lyric videos?

10. gabe

gabebravo.com

I'm a huge Blink fan. But the deluxe version was very underwhelming.
    6/8 was the best one in there.

Damien Davies likes this.
  11. Eml182

Regular

I wouldn't call it generic really- people tend to think the lyrics are empty, but this song is actually about coming home from war - makes the song a bit more meaningful knowing that vs thinking they are just metaphoric lyrics for the sake of them.

That said, other songs on this I agree with you on.

12. youwontknow

Well said! And Dogs Eating Dogs was awesome for "later" Blink.

Raku likes this.
  13. bakin

Kinda over Feldmann's production now and making every band sound exactly the same.... He does great work with bands but the end result needs to be mixed up a little bit

Raku likes this.
  14. anewhope

Regular

they made lyric videos to every song now

15. StoJa9

Regular

Is that a bad thing? Honestly, who cares? They're not the only band that does it.

truelovewaits likes this.
  16. AshlandATeam

Trusted

I actually really, REALLY like this song. Not been a fan of the other deluxe songs really, but this is far from generic.

17. DooDooBird

Trusted

I gave this new Deluxe album a few listens today and I have to agree with you. I just can't describe it and figure out what exactly bothers me about these songs.

18. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

You naysayers are weird. I'm digging these new songs. Not all of them, but for the most part, I enjoy these quite a bit. Far superior to most "deluxe album" offerings.

Maybe it's because I'm not really thinking of the songs as blink-182 songs...just trying to enjoy the music for what it is.

StoJa9 and theredline like this.
  19. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

Brand New haven't released an album in almost 10 years so I don't think it's fair to include them.

fran.182 and Dirty Sanchez like this.
  20. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Let's be honest, they haven't and probably won't ever write anything as interesting, mature, well written or varied as the Self Titled. But if I can get one or two songs to chuck into a set list from each album, I'm okay with that.

truelovewaits and Dirty Sanchez like this.
  21. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

Dig the deluxe edition, they're just pop punk songs.

22. youwontknow

Haha fair point, it's weird I still think of Daisy as "later" BN. But I was thinking about Mene and I am a Nightmare. Different but awesome tracks nonetheless.

Letterbomb31 likes this.
  23. AsfAstAswegofar

Regular

I had to Google to verify, FUCK I'm getting old.

24. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

So far I really dig a lot of these new songs.....nothing special, but they're far from terrible.

25. youwontknow

"Billboard is calling it [far from terrible!]"