Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Story of the Year Begin Mixing New Album

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 17, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. tobytobes

Regular

As someone who KickPledgeGoGo'ed that album, glad to hear it!

They're a guilty pleasure band :)

3. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

Damn, this guy is a big time mixer. I knew with the success of their campaign they wanted to get someone well regarded, but this guy has done a lot of massive records from different eras in different styles. SOTY + Sprinke + Tom mixing = a potential great record. At the very least we know it will sound good. Whether the songs are there is the only question. But I don't think Sprinkle let's them make a bad record with his name on it. I just don't.

4. Callum Macleod

Do or do not, there is no try.

I never get it when people call something a "guilty pleasure". Like what you like!

Can't wait for this album. Wasn't hugely into The Constant but I love their first 3 records.

5. rxbandit89

probably over-caffeinated. Supporter

I see where you're coming from, and agree. But when I say "guilty pleasure" I don't mean that I actually feel guilt. It's more of another way of saying "I like this band despite the cheese factor."

I like Story of the year despite the cheese factor, and pledged to this excitedly. I'm hoping we get some bangers in the vein of "The Virus" out of this record.

callumnmacleod likes this.
  6. Callum Macleod

Do or do not, there is no try.

Ah, I see! The live recordings of new signs sounded really promising. One of them was a professional recording as well which was cool. Loved what Sprinkle just did with New Found Glory so I reckon this is going to be good!

7. ARo24

Regular

Excited for this. These guys put on one of the best live shows. They also let one of friends play drums on stage one time so I'll always think they rule haha.

Steeeve Perry likes this.
  8. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Only record I dig is In The Wake of Determination and I'm sure this record won't sound anything like that :tear:

9. defmytones

Regular

You'd probably be right, it won't sound like Wake. I listen to Lead Singer Syndrome podcast and Dan pretty much said that album was a step backwards for them.

Erwin89 likes this.
  10. pbueddi

Trusted

finally! apparently phil's side project greek fire has new music coming out soon too.

11. K0ta

wrap yourself in petals for armor.

Oooh interesting. In all honesty, this band kind of faded away for me (not because I didn't like new stuff, just because I forgot about them). I'd be interested to give a new album a try!

12. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

That's incredibly lame that he thinks that.. oh well. It's a truly great record and awesome to go on rides to.

13. Full Effect Ed

...In F*cking Full Effect Prestigious

It's been over 7 years since The Constant...damn I can't wait to hear this. Love these guys!

14. mattylikesfilms May 17, 2017
    (Last edited: May 17, 2017)
    mattylikesfilms

Trusted

I wonder what their original goal was for this record? They achieved 256% of it lol.

Edit: listened to the lead singer syndrome podcast with Dan and he said it was 50k- so they made like 150k. Good for them!

15. seanxwilliams

Scar crossed lovers, forever

[​IMG]

16. ibanez966

Looking forward to the album, but oof that promo picture

17. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

Haha he said that? I listened to that ep but don't really remember him mentioning that. I know he discussed how it was nowhere near the hit they wanted it to be, but that would be a shame if they're down on that album since it's soooooo fucking good.

Tom Lord-Alge is one of my favorite mixers of all time, though. The production on this is gonna be through the roof.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  18. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

I listened to that podcast episode with Dan and I don't remember him talking bad about the record. He was honest about it though. He said things along the lines that in hindsight it probably wasn't the right record to make at that time. It came out of a conversation about how they dealt with Page blowing up and trying to follow up that success. Maverick gave the band full control and Dan strongly (at the time) did not want to make a record he felt like was a compromise of who they were. He wanted it to be their own project. He also talked about how he was strongly against doing a song for the first Spiderman soundtrack as well despite being offered a handsome amount. Moon, who had kids really wanted to do that project. Basically, Dan was painting the idea that Wake was too much too soon (with some of the tracks) after Page in hindsight. The record essentially took them out of the spotlight and that there probably could have been a better balance of staying true to who they were, but taking some of the financial opportunities they turned down.

19. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

I didn't hear that, so I don't know the context. But commercially In the Wake was a definite step backwards. They went heavier and failed to take the next step like other bands managed, such as The Used.
    So it's fair for Dan to say that, but it doesn't necessarily mean the band considers In the Wake a step backwards creatively. I think he'd know a lot of fans want a return to a heavy sound.

20. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

I am actually very excited about this.

21. Micool1

Trusted Prestigious

This can't come soon enough!

22. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Nice. I liked the last two albums a lot.

23. Yeah Dan didn't said that at all. Pretty sure he affirmed that were will be some classic heavy tracks, and especially some songs that go on uncharted territory for them. Don't know what it means, but it's exciting.

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  24. Jake Z

Regular

I love Wake as well. Good to hear he didn't disown the record at least, because its great. Would love the majority to be heavy like that.

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  25. jorbjorb

7 rings

the constant was great. excited to hear new stuff by them.