Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Facebook’s Anti-Fake News Initiative May Not Be Working

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 16, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Sam Levin, writing for The Guardian:

“A bunch of conservative groups grabbed this and said, ‘Hey, they are trying to silence this blog – share, share share,’” said Winthrop, who published the story that falsely claimed hundreds of thousands of Irish people were brought to the US as slaves. “With Facebook trying to throttle it and say, ‘Don’t share it,’ it actually had the opposite effect.”

2. devenstonow

Noobie

This is a problem with no "right" solution for Facebook. Either they have people moderate/curate featured news and you get (unintentionally/subconsciously) biased news/news sources, or they go with an algorithm that's not ready/has flaws and get accused of bias

3. Tim Fitzpatrick

This is why we can't have nice things

4. mercury

modern-day offspring fanatic Supporter

I think the "right" solution is for a social network to not be the arbiter of news, but y'know, innovation or whatever.

5. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

people are idiots and we do not deserve the technology we have made

6. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

*DING DING DING*

And I'd add, it's worth debating what real value we're deriving from some of the technology and services we've created.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.