Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Blink-182 – “Wildfire”

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 11, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Blink-182 have debuted another track from their upcoming deluxe album. This one is called “Wildfire.”

I like it, but deep down I hope these songs get this style out of their system a little bit and they are willing to explore and try some new things on the next album. Something more moody, more vibe-y, more Alkaline Trio’s Crimson meets +44.

2. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

Really meh.

It's fine, and I probably wouldn't skip it when it came on, but I'm the rare person who thinks 6/8 is the best song to come from these releases so far.

3. GrandAce

This one starts off like Bored to Death which sounds like No Future which sounds like San Diego which sounds like a million other songs in their catalogue. I found California pretty disappointing and this doesn't really do it for me either.

4. benschuyler

Regular Prestigious

Definitely agree with this sentiment.

5. VanderlyleCrybaby

Regular Supporter

speaking of Crimson , I really miss Alkaline Trio :-/

6. Phillip

BOO

I'm with you there. 6/8 is so good.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  7. AsfAstAswegofar

Regular

6/8 is the best so far.

8. Dan O'Neill

Regular

I think your opinion is in the majority. Even my friends who disliked California (which is most of them actually...and we all grew up on Blink 182) all say that's their favorite song since Matt joined.

9. honkytonk

Narcissism on narcotics

New song is alright, I'm pretty much over the California era, but I'm excited to see what's next.

Been spinning a lot of Alkaline Trio this week, especially Crimson and My Shame Is True, the latter has been a go-to summer album for me for the past couple years. I agree with your sentiment, I would definitely would love to hear an "Alkaline Trio Meets +44" record!

VanderlyleCrybaby likes this.
  10. The Format

Regular

Sounds like it could have been a b-side to TOYPAJI

11. tastetherainbow

I wish I wish this was a one off thing. I'm not interested in this being Blink 182

honkytonk likes this.
  12. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Ugh, how is it possible they recycled the same da da daaa guitar riff in the intro? They've used that so many times throughout California.

13. bptky

check out Musica - Akron's best live music venue

It's one of the better songs because they experimented with something new to them instead of following their "template." The fact they had to name it 6/8 showed how little they change time signatures or seem to branch out of their element in general.

14. AshlandATeam

Trusted

I like this song fine.

For a band comprised of Skiba, Hoppus and Barker, that I should have a stronger reaction than 'I like this song fine.'

bptky likes this.
  15. pbueddi

Trusted

misery is still my favorite so far

Dan O'Neill likes this.
  16. Slave to the Grind

My biggest problem with these guys is they are all over 40 still singing about not growing up, breaking up with girlfriends and what it feels like being a teenager. At best it's disingenuous, at worst it's creepy.

Raku, FTank, alex miller and 7 others like this.
  17. Gen Handley

Regular

This song has nothing on anything on Crimson.

Joe4th likes this.
  18. bptky

check out Musica - Akron's best live music venue

Nailed it. I was introduced to Blink during my middle school years, and although those guys were in their mid-20s during that time, those topics were still somewhat fresh for them, while relatable to me too.

Having turned 30 a month ago, my album of the year so far is the Menzingers' After the Party, an album that is literally themed around "Where are we gonna go now that our 20s are over?" I may be a bit selfish, but I can obviously relate to that album a lot more than the seemingly forced teenage themes of California.

It's hard to imagine but I don't think it would necessarily be a bad thing for Blink to write songs about being in their mid-40s, parenting, aging in a pop-punk scene, etc. Doesn't mean they have to ditch the dick jokes either. Just wondering is this era of Blink is really even reaching that younger target audience? or is it more just the longtime fans sticking around?

Raku, FTank, princexero and 2 others like this.
  19. GetUpAndrew

Constant horror and bone-deep dissatisfaction.

I'm into it, but I must admit I agree with the general sentiment, I wish them to head toward a different direction in their future efforts.

Raku and Petit nain des Îles like this.
  20. ZooZooChaCha

Trusted Supporter

I dont hate it - bass part is pretty cool

21. SuNDaYSTaR

Regular Prestigious

Bingo. I saw them for the first time back in October, I was about to turn 30, and it felt incredibly weird to watch three guys that are now in their 40's sing Shit, Piss, Fuck.

Raku and Petit nain des Îles like this.
  22. DesolateEarth

Birb

My thoughts exactly, except that much of California, minus a handful of songs, was really lackluster for me. "Misery" and "6/8" are great though. An entire album with that sound would be fantastic.

Crimson meets +44 would be insanely good too. Love both those albums.

23. AshlandATeam

Trusted

And here's the thing, to piggy back on what you guys are saying: look at Jimmy Eat World. Look at the content of their lyrics over twenty years, and see how they've grown and matured and at least make an attempt to sing about the things they're going through. Same thing with Taking Back Sunday. Same thing with Fall Out Boy. Same thing with tons of bands. You can play this style of music without singing about high school.

I really like blink's sound. I've been a fan since '99. I will defend them to the death for continuing on without Tom lol. But yeah - I just can't really relate to anything they're singing about.

24. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

Stylistically it sounds like a TOYPAJ b-side, it's not bad, but nothing special.

25. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

6/8 is definitely the best so far