Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Amazon Unveils the “Echo Show”

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 9, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Ingrid Lunden, writing for TechCrunch:

Today Amazon unveiled the Echo Show, a WiFi-enabled home device with a seven-inch screen that is the newest addition to its Alexa-powered Echo range of home hubs that plays media and responds to voice commands. […] The device, which comes in black and white versions, will cost $229.99 and will be shipped from June 28, with preorders available now. It appears that it will be available first in the U.S. only.

I use my Echo for controlling the lights, playing the daily Jeopardy game, setting cooking timers, re-ordering common items, and playing a “favorites playlist” when I don’t have my phone near. Pretty much in that order. It’s a nice device, I’m glad we have it, but I wouldn’t call it anywhere near essential yet. As they get more powerful and more capable of understanding queries and context, I think this will be an interesting space to watch.

2. That isn't really a good looking piece of hardware. Well I don't think the others are that good looking. I can see why people like these but I don't have a use case for it.

3. Smage

lo mein connoisseur Supporter

I would pick the Google Home over echo to be honest.

4. Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

FUCKING TELESCREENS!!! Are you serious??! Look out everyone.

Will never have any device remotely close to this in or around my home.