Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Behind the Chorus to “Call Me Maybe”

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Carly Rae Jepsen sat down with Billboard to talk about the chorus of “Call Me Maybe” and how she feels about the song today:

The next day, Jepsen and Crowe brought the song to Josh Ramsay, the leader of pop-rock group Marianas Trench, who suggested that they turn the song’s pre-chorus into its proper chorus. “He went, ‘That pre-chorus is way hookier than the chorus that you guys have, so let’s repeat it,’” says Jepsen. From there, “Call Me Maybe” — originally more of a folk-leaning track, in the vein of Jepsen’s earlier singer-songwriter work — was re-imagined as a bubblegum pop track by Ramsay, who ended up producing the song. “He got inspired and started adding strings,” remembers Jepsen. “before we knew it, it had this whole new life.”

Billboard recently released a list of the “100 greatest choruses” of the 21st century. Fall Out Boy, Yellowcard, Fun., and Walk the Moon all feature.

2. bmir14

Trusted Supporter

the fact that walk the moon- shut up and dance is on the list immediately gives it credibility

Luroda and joe.boy.fresh. like this.
  3. devenstonow

Noobie

cool list, but mr. brightside is way too high.

KidLightning likes this.
  4. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Ocean Avenue should be way higher.

5. honkytonk

Narcissism on narcotics

Was surprised I didn't see "All The Small Things" but then remembered Enema was released in 1999. Still slightly surprised Blink didn't make the list for something from TOYPAJ or Untitled.

6. Butinsmallsteps

Regular

First date woulda been perfect

7. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Noooopppppe

8. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

Disagree with it being too high. The chorus and the description of it are perfect.

goation likes this.
  9. kait_whiteside

10. devenstonow

Noobie

Didn't expect this to be a controversial opinion...

I completely disagree lol. I don't see how Mr. Brightside is catchier than things like Empire State of Mind or The Middle (just to pick out a few of the top 10). Hell, I'd say Somebody Told Me is the catchier chorus if we're comparing Hot Fuss. The verses imo make Mr. Brightside the great song it is

Anthony Brooks likes this.
  11. DesolateEarth

Birb

Good to see JEW make the top 10.

Butinsmallsteps likes this.
  12. TedSchmosby

Trusted

Not sure how big they are in America, but this list definitely needs at least one Marianas Trench song. Josh Ramsay is a genius when it comes to writing choruses

13. jorbjorb

7 rings

wow I was going to say kelly clarkson since you've been gone should be on there and I found it sitting in the number 2 slot. amazing lol

14. kait_whiteside

Gonna have to respectfully disagree. I mean, I love the verses of that song, don't get me wrong. But come on, that chorus! "Open up my eager eyyyyyyes/cuz I'm Mr. Briiiiiightsiide." How is that not the best/most memorable part of the song? It's stuck in my head right now! Ha

goation and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  15. This list is fascinating but it contains way too many recent songs. The bulk of the list is comprised of songs that have really stood the test of time. Some of the more recent choices, well, I personally doubt that they'll stand the test of time...but obviously...

Only time will tell.

16. "Mr. Brightside" seriously bugs me because almost the entire song is just one note. Literally. He barely sings anything outside of one note. The whole song. Just one note. One. Do I sound monotonous and redundant? So does he.

17. honkytonk

Narcissism on narcotics

That was the first song that came to mind, or "I Miss You" (if Tom's "don't waste your time on me....." is considered the chorus, which I'm not entirely sure it is).

18. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

It's hard to say any of these are catchier than the next, haha. I started singing all of them in my head as I read along :crylaugh:

K0ta likes this.
  19. K0ta

wrap yourself in petals for armor.

CRJ is a great songwriter, which surprised me because initially (despite being obsessed with Call Me Maybe) I didn't realize she wrote her own stuff. That song definitely deserves a top spot. I spent a bit of time going to clubs (gay clubs, so maybe a different taste preference to certain types of music ) during the summer that song came out, and this song was always a banger.

I do agree that many of the older songs on the upper part of the list should be higher up. All the Things She Said for instance is a chorus I still hear people randomly singing all these years later.

Contender and Dan O'Neill like this.
  20. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

I mean, apparently she had a lot of help from Josh Ramsay with that huge hit, but for the most part that's what I've heard.

Luroda and JRGComedy like this.
  21. DisloyalOrder

Trusted Prestigious

Surprised I Write Sins didn't make it.

22. TedSchmosby

Trusted

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  23. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

nah i'm with you, Mr. Brightside is one of the weaker tracks on a decent stadium pop rock album.

glad to see Wrecking Ball and Since U Been Gone so high up here. and i guess i can't dispute Call Me Maybe at number 1. i'm on team pre-chorus and bridge for that song though. also, CRJ is 31 years old? holy shit

in my head though, i'm thinking, like, "where's Ballad of El Goodo? where's The Night they Drove Old Dixie Down? where's Sister Golden Hair?" before quelling my outrage cause it was 21st century

second the I Write Sins snub too

24. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

Bias, and completely subjective, but "Ocean Avenue" is far far too low on this list.

25. RileyWitiw

more like absolutepop.net Supporter

I think the monotonous vocal melody is actually part of the brilliance of the song. It breaks up the monotone at a few key moments that really compliment the chord progression, creating a really simple yet catchy melody that stands out among other pop rock bands.

goation likes this.