Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Nintendo Might Be Following Up NES Classic With Mini SNES

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Ashlee Kieler, writing at Consumerist:

Nostalgia lovers who missed out on scoring one of Nintendo’s mini-Classic console systems before the company discontinued the product last week, could have another chance to walk down memory lane: The gaming company is reportedly planning to follow up on that system’s popularity with a miniature Super Nintendo version. Though, if the report is true, you’ll have to wait until the holidays.

I’d buy one. I still don’t understand why Nintendo discontinued the mini-NES though.

2. AshlandATeam

Trusted

True story: I got a Super Nintendo when I was 10 years old in 1994. I took that thing to college with me and it hung out in my dorm room, where it got regularly played between 2002-2006. When I last plugged it in a few months ago, it still worked as well as the day I got it.

I don't have a point to that story other than to say that it's pretty cool that my 23 year old game system still works and is still extremely fun.

3. Bayside 182

Wolverine Supporter

Cool idea but I'm sure if you don't wait on line the day it is released you'll need to spend 5x the actual retail price on ebay or some other site.

Raku likes this.
  4. therookielot

Punk, Absolute Prestigious

SNES was miles better than NES. It was like they finally got what they were aiming for out of the NES. The only reason the NES is so romanticized is because it broke into the mainstream hard.

I've never owned an SNES, but my neighbor did and it was some of the best video game memories I've had haha.

Also, when my cousin beat Little Nemo on NES after a couple night pizza and pop binge during the summer was another good one.

fenway89 and AshlandATeam like this.
  5. theredline

Trusted Supporter

I got a mini-classic. Right place right time. This sounds cool too!

Kingjohn_654 and Jason Tate like this.
  6. My original got stolen. Still not happy about it.

7. honkytonk

Narcissism on narcotics

I don't understand the mini NES cancellation. Nintendo just makes questionable decisions from my perspective. Maybe that's why I don't own a billion dollar business..

Raku likes this.
  8. SeeTheLights

Trusted Prestigious

As someone who works retail:

This is my nightmare

Turkeylegz, Raku, Brent and 2 others like this.
  9. defmytones

Regular

"I still don’t understand why Nintendo discontinued the mini-NES though."

Totally agree. Apparently its from manufacturing issues, but I can't imagine making a product playing 30+ year old games difficult. Kinda baffled by it.

Also, for any Mac users on here Openemu is an absolute godsend for emulation. Its practically iTunes for my old school game collection/ROMS. Have little need for buying these classic consoles because of it.

Raku likes this.
  10. DooDooBird

Trusted

SNES is by far my favorite system of all time. Just sooooo many great games and great memories.

billyboatman likes this.
  11. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

I feel like the mini-NES is kind of like how Disney would only release movies on VHS for limited times then would put them back in the vault. It's to drum up more business as they are only available for limited times.

billyboatman, Raku and Turkeylegz like this.
  12. theredline

Trusted Supporter

My mom got one for her birthday when I was a kid. She loved Tetris. After a while it ended up in my room! She still has it and my 8 year old daughter plays it when she visits!

Jason Tate likes this.
  13. omgrawr

That loneliness is not a function of solitude.

I think craziest thing they've done is not include charging cables with the New 3DS XL. Like wtf lol.

Turkeylegz and Raku like this.
  14. jmwhit04

May Your Music Break My Eardrums Prestigious

I highly recommend to everyone to just build a retropie. You can have every classic system and every single game on there and it'll cost you around $100 to buy the kit and controllers to build it.

Turkeylegz and Raku like this.
  15. beckerm6

they discontinued it due to manufacturing restraints and they want to push the nintendo switch. same reason why they stopped supporting the 3ds. they want consumer's only option for purchase to be the switch.

i need to cop a snes classic tho, i'm mad i missed out on the nes classic.

Raku likes this.
  16. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah but that's a legal gray area

17. Raku

Regular

I can just imagine the horrors, especially with how Nintendo likes to limit their supply (then you add in the scalpers), and you get a horror show.

You have my utmost sympathy when this drops (if it does).

18. Turkeylegz

Trusted

Working at Target has made me hate Nintendo.
    They are great at marketing but terrible at production.

19. SeeTheLights

Trusted Prestigious

Thank you so much.

Same with me, you feel my vibe haha. Biggest thing I hated about holiday season at target this past year lol

Raku and Turkeylegz like this.
  20. billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

I will definitely try to get my hands on this. NES classic was meh for me. But some of the best games of all time are on the SNES.

21. billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

My SNES still works flawless. My PS3 that I had for only 9 years.. doesn't. Smh. Where's the quality anymore.

22. DooDooBird

Trusted

Did you have the original PS3? (the fat heavy one that came out before the slim). I had one and it lasted 2007-2011. 4 fucking years and it just decides to bite the dust.

23. billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

Nope, I got one of the first batches of the slim redesign. It worked great until it randomly bricked from trying to get on an open wifi source.

24. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

My 2001 Game Boy Advance still kicks ass and so does my 2007 Wii, though it makes a lot of noise when it runs.

25. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

I can't wait to not be able to get this

Raku and JRGComedy like this.