Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Streetlight Manifesto and Victory Records Settle Lawsuit

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Streetlight Manifesto and Victory Records have ended their lawsuit. They released a joint statement:

Victory Records and Streetlight Manifesto have amicably settled the litigation filed by Victory in the U.S. District Court in Illinois. After a long and successful run, the parties agreed that it was in their mutual best interests to end the 15 year relationship. As part of the settlement, Victory agreed to sell Streetlight Manifesto all of their master recordings for an undisclosed sum resolving claims that were asserted in the lawsuit. No further comment will be made by either party.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  2. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

jesus christ. fuck victory records.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  3. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

thank fuck

the band seems really ecstatic, so I'm really happy for them

4. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

Hopefully this means some more consistent releases. Especially since their break-up/hiatus didn't seem to be real.

5. JimmyIymmiJ

Music, a steady riot in my soul. Prestigious

Wow. This is great news.

6. ZooZooChaCha

Trusted Supporter

Great news! Hope this means we'll eventually hear some new music from them

7. tomfrombrick

great news! just saw them couple weeks ago at AC Beerfest and they were amazing

Youarcade likes this.
  8. ARo24

Regular

That's all Victory has left is to battle their past successful artists in court. Fuckin loser Brummel.

9. Frinet42

Regular Supporter

My hopes exactly

10. JimmyIymmiJ

I'm still waiting on the other 88 songs of revolution!

Kingjohn_654 and Brenden like this.
  11. skurt

Sleekest of beaks. So Good.

Another great band freed from Victory's clutches, its a great day folks.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  12. HueyLewis

Regular

I wonder if dicking over a ton of bands was financially worth it after all the bad PR? Even if Victory signed a decent band I wouldn't give that fucker a dime.

skurt likes this.
  13. I've heard some grumblings that Victory sold a bunch of their back catalog to Bicycle, but haven't been able to get confirmation anywhere.

14. AsfAstAswegofar

Regular

One of the most talented ska bands still kickin. Love these guys, hope that their horror show with Victory can be put in the rear view. I see them after they say they're not gonna tour again every year haha

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  15. Yellowcard2006

Trusted

The nightmare is finally over for Streetlight.

16. Bayside 182

Wolverine Supporter

does this have something to do with why I can't find hardly any of their stuff in Itunes?

17. TDenverFan

Regular

All their stuff is off Spotify, too.

If the band now owns the master records maybe they need to put them back up themselves or something?

18. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah. I'm sure Victory pulled everything off especially since they don't own the masters anymore.

19. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

Awesome news! Let's get a ska revival tour going. Less Than Jake, Streetlight, and The Interrupters.

JimmyIymmiJ likes this.
  20. JimmyIymmiJ

The first time I ever saw them was with Less Than Jake and Reel Big Fish (and Against All Authority opening). That was awesome. The Interrupters are awesome, so that would work for me too.

21. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

It's 2017 and I'm still surprised Victory is in business.

22. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

Great news. I wouldn't be surprised to see Streetlight put out new music now, because I feel like the hiatus was largely because of Victory

Michael Schmidt likes this.
  23. TDenverFan

Regular

Post-Emancipation Update #2

First off, sorry for the delay. To say that we’ve been swamped here at Streetlight HQ would be the understatement of the decade. We’ve had a single sandwich since we last spoke with you fine folks. One. Also, we’re trying not to post until we have information that is 100% accurate and confirmed.

So let’s get to the good stuff, filling you in on the latest info and answering some of the questions you have been asking here on the world wide interweb.

1. All future SM (and other projects) recordings will be released (or re-released) on our own label, the Pentimento Music Company. We will never sign with another label. We’ve fought so hard to become free and completely independent, and we’re going to keep ourselves that way from here on out. No exceptions. We will own everything we create outright. More importantly, now that we have full control of our output, as well as the money generated by our music, we hope and plan to do more than we could in the past in terms of music videos, “special” projects, random releases of music and live recordings, etc. Bottom line is, we are now, and will remain indefinitely, 100% artist owned and run, completely independent. Our future, whether it be successful or a fiery train wreck, is entirely in our hands, and we accept responsibility for what we manage to do with our newfound freedom.

2. As many of you have noticed, as of a few days ago, our music is back up on all streaming and download services. So fire up Spotify, Apple Music or iTunes, Napster, Live Journal, what have you, and enjoy. Please and thank you.

3. We are in now in deep, nearly unfathomable debt. More than any band on the planet, possibly. We managed to scrape together the massive amount of money it took to buy our masters (and thereby, effectively our past as well as our future) by begging and borrowing from every friend and family member that may have had a spare nickel to their name. We absolutely, literally, could not have done this without our loved ones risking their savings and, in some cases, homes, all because they love us and believe in us and the music we’ve made these last 15 years. We’re now going to be paying back a long list of very generous buddies and family members over the course of the next few years. This brings us to…

4. We’re going to need your help. If we want to keep this big beautiful thing going (and we do, very much), we’re going to need your support now more than ever. That said, we always prefer to be on the giving end of charity and not the receiving end of it. Some of you have suggested crowd funding via some sort of Go Fund Me page, but we’re not big on that. If you choose to support the future of this band with your hard earned money, we want it to be a fair and honest exchange of goods. We’re obviously going to be re-releasing all of our records on CD and finally pressing them all on vinyl, all with Pentimento logos proudly stamped on the back. We’re going to be putting up a bunch of new merch designs as well, to go along with this massive re-release, all at our webstore at www.riscstore.com. All this should be up and available for preorder this week, it’s being prepared as we speak.
    5. Obviously, OUR SELF IMPOSED BOYCOTT IS OFFICIALLY LIFTED! All money generated by you fine folks supporting us by buying our music and merch goes to paying back our debts, and enabling us to set up more releases. Which brings us to…

6. NEW MUSIC! Well, not quite yet, but soon. We’re lining up our release schedule for the next few years and to answer the question most frequently on your fingers: Yes, there will absolutely be a new album. Of course there will be. In fact, hopefully there will be many new albums in our future. That said, that’s still a ways off (we’re aiming for sometime in 2018). In the meantime, we have a handful of, in our humble opinion, interesting things up our sleeves for the remainder of this year and onward. If you guys end up being a fraction as excited about some of these projects as we are, we’re all going to collectively pee our collective pants. Collectively gross!

7. This isn’t 100% SM news, but it is to some degree. Maybe like 38% or so. Toh Kay’s version of The Hands That Thieve, the cleverly titled The Hand That Thieves, will in fact be released online, on CD and on glorious vinyl soon. Legally! All proceeds will also go towards getting SM out of debt, naturally. But first things first, we’re going to focus on getting some SM stuff out and into the wild before we expand into acoustic power-trio territory.

So that’s it for today! Stay tuned for the announcement of the entire SM discography via Pentimento Music Company, and bear with us as we wade through this beautiful swamp of freedom and possibility, dagger in our teeth, all of our possessions dangling in a small pouch hanging from a stick that we’ve slung over our shoulder. Or something. Uhm. Bye!

tomfrombrick likes this.
  24. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

Best of luck to these guys. Legal fees plus buying your music catalog is definitely not cheap. Hopefully they can get through that stuff and start earning a profit.