Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Pandora Premium Now Open to All

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Pandora Premium is now available to all users, TechCrunch reports:

The service itself is essentially Pandora’s own spin on on-demand music, offering a combination of radio-like listening as well as the ability to search and play any track and build playlists. It costs $9.99 per month, which is in line with other offerings on the market today, including Spotify and Apple Music.

2. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

I'm waiting till my 6 free months of Tidal end to activate my 2-month free trial. Just riding the freebies along until they die out now that my Groove Music subscriptions finally ended.

3. ioev

I'm a kid I'm a squid

In Canada and still waiting :P I'm really hoping this lives up to my expectations and I can finally drop Google Play Music for good. I'm getting really tired of begging for basic features (album sorting) through their feedback form and never getting anything.

4. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

I've been considering getting YouTube Red partially because it comes with Google Play Music. You're not a fan of it though?

5. ioev

I'm a kid I'm a squid

Sorry for not replying sooner! Google Play Music is a perfectly competent service, it just feels really barebones for the most part.

Good things:
    - You can upload your own music, which seamlessly integrates into the catalog.
    - Absolutely no complaints about sound quality.
    - Seems to get new releases decently fast (but sometimes you have to look for them.)
    - Price and plans are totally comparable to every other service.

Not great things:
    - Music suggestions are hit and miss, especially on new release day.
    - "I'm Feeling Lucky" algorithm appears to be: pick a track from your collection and play related stuff, which almost always misses the mark (I almost always prefer to go to my collection and play random from there.)
    - No native desktop app, but there's an open source one that is decent.

Crap things:
    - Albums you add to your collection are lost to the void. You can view sorted alphabetically (Track Name, Artist, Album) and that's it. I'd love to be able to sort by date added to my collection, number of plays, Albums by Artist name, etc.
    - Queue doesn't sync across devices. Some people may prefer this, but I loved how Rdio would do this, where I could get home from work and just start playing where I left off.
    - UI is pretty ugly, album list often lacks enough data (# of tracks, year released) so you have to click through to find out if something is a single or the full album. Deezer really shined for this, as it would divide up an artists album list into albums, eps and singles.
    - For some reason, even though Google has full access to the lyrics, you can't view them while playing tracks. Maybe it's a licensing thing. The open source player sort of hacks it in as a beta feature, but I'd love to see this be a standard feature.
    - No social features other than a share to twitter/facebook.