Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Riot Fest Announces First Wave of Bands

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Riot Fest will be returning to Chicago’s Douglas Park this year from September 15th-17th. Today they’ve unveiled the first group of artists for the festival, and, damn, it’s got some heavy hitters. Nine Inch Nails, Queens of the Stone Age, and a Jawbreaker reunion are the headlining acts. The full list of artists can be found below.

Tickets go on sale later today at via Ticketfly.

First Wave

Nine Inch Nails (Friday), Queens of the Stone Age (Saturday), Jawbreaker (Sunday), New Order, Paramore, Prophets of Rage, M.I.A., Wu-Tang Clan, Mike D (DJ Set), A Day To Remember, Gogol Bordello, Taking Back Sunday, Vic Mensa, Dirty Heads, TV on the Radio, Ministry, Dinosaur Jr., New Found Glory, Death From Above 1979, Bad Brains, FIDLAR, Action Bronson, Good Charlotte, Pennywise, Built to Spill, X, Peaches, The Lawrence Arms, The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, The Orwells, Bayside, Say Anything, Mayday Parade, Streetlight Manifesto, Dead Cross, Minus the Bear, The Menzingers, LIARS, GWAR, Buzzcocks, GBH, Real Friends, Hot Water Music, Shabazz Palaces, Andrew W.K., Fishbone, The Story So Far, State Champs, Four Year Strong, Beach Slang, The Cribs, that dog., Knuckle Puck, Chon, Slaves, The Hotelier, The Flatliners, Dessa, Saul Williams, Nothing More, Alice Bag, Tobacco, Sleep On It, Downtown Boys, Engine 88, The Smith Street Band, The Regrettes, HDBeenDope, Gazebos, and Kitten Forever.

In addition to the remaining 25+ bands that will be announced in May, on Thursday, April 20th, organizers will be revealing select artists who will be performing their seminal album for the festival. Riot Fest will also once again feature a full-scale carnival with rides, games of chance, and of course, the Hellzapoppin’ Sideshow Revue freak show, which will see a much extended footprint from prior years. And to satisfy the refined palates of Riot patrons, there will be over 40 unique and diverse food vendors from which to choose.

2. tomtom94

Trusted

Jawbreaker and Misfits reunions? They should put the Riot Fest bookers in charge of UN negotiations.

3. Bayside 182

Wolverine Supporter

This looks awesome. I like the Riot fest more than many of these other festivals because they incorporate more rock and harder stuff but still include other genres.

4. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I'm so bummed this isn't coming to Denver this year. Definitely the best festival out there in my opinion.

Bayside 182 likes this.
  5. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

so many fucking dudes

6. Piercalicious

Regular

SOLD.

7. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

Paramore mia and x. Better than it could have been

8. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Never been to one before but might need to. Lots of bands I'd like to see.

9. cwhit

hope that isn't the standard we have for ourselves

artbynickferran likes this.
  10. Former Planets

Aaaachem!

RIGHT??? Never thought I'd see the day.

11. fowruok

Trusted Supporter

Not that I'm planning on attending, but is Good Charlotte playing this? They're listed here but not on the official poster. For some reason, that caught my eye.

12. Tater Tot

What is your favorite kitten forever song?

13. MattNCheeze

Trusted

Let me begin baby, my name is Bronsoliño

14. JohnnyStacks

Regular

Why does gender matter? A pretty solid lineup for a festival. Just because this one fest isn't brimming with female artists doesn't mean there aren't others. There are plenty of female solo pop artists that are playing shows.

15. cwhit

there are so many bands with women in it that are significantly better than a lot of these bands playing.
    you literally have to try to get a ratio this bad

16. JohnnyStacks

Regular

I don't really think these ones are terrible. This line up is pretty solid. All these bands tour non stop and work hard so good for them.

17. paperlung

there's no place like my room Supporter

would love to see some bands from the chicago scene get added to this. ratboys, island of misfit toys, dowsing, etc would all get tons of love there.

18. Shordeli

Come. On. The lineup is fucking killer. They didn't DESIGN it to exclude females. This shit drives me crazy to no end.

19. Tater Tot

Have you checked out Alice Bag, dessa, gazebos?

20. cwhit

island of misfit toys isn't a band anymore because the singer was an abuser. another member in the band was found out too around the same time

21. cwhit

yes i know alice bag and dessa

the ratio is still atrocious

22. Tater Tot

Alice Bag - Wikipedia

This person is a feminist activist and is playing the festival

23. cwhit

downtown boys are activists too

war on women are playing warped tour BECAUSE the ratios are so bad and it's a dangerous spot

none of this changes the fact that this lineup is horrible in diversity

24. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

Damn I would love this. My dream is to one day be able to travel to this.

25. Shordeli

Lineups aren't designed to promote diversity. Lineups are designed to attract people to the festival. We shouldn't be using gender as a deciding factor EITHER WAY when deciding lineups. It's about an artist's draw, availability, price, etc, not their private parts.

heymattrick, Daniel182 and noeljames like this.