Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Lorde Talks With The New York Times

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Lorde sat down with Jonah Weiner of The New York Times for a wide ranging interview:

No one’s feedback mattered to Lorde as much as Antonoff’s. When Max Martin heard “Green Light” shortly before its release, she told me, “he had a very specific opinion, which had to do with the melodic math — shortening a part.” Martin is probably the greatest pop craftsman alive. Since his late-’90s breakthrough he has written or co-written career-defining singles for Britney Spears, Backstreet Boys, Kelly Clarkson, Katy Perry, Taylor Swift and the Weeknd. Lorde sought an audience with him a few years ago at his Los Angeles studio, and they stayed in touch. Martin described “Green Light” as a case of “incorrect songwriting,” Lorde said, clarifying that this “wasn’t an insult, just a statement of fact,” and one, furthermore, that she agreed with: “It’s a strange piece of music.” (The press-averse Martin declined to comment.)

2. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

Great read!

3. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

her new stuff seems pretty generic and uninspired, especially coming from an album as dense as heroine was

4. Feel like this (really great) interview should properly smash any idea that this album was "uninspired."

5. Malatesta

i mean. perhaps. at any rate, the early material is sounding not like my thing. also not sure i can get on board with teenage dream being of the same tier as fleetwood mac, but.

JRGComedy likes this.
  6. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Just came in to say this about Teenage Dream

7. Malatesta

like i dont think it's even the best katy perry song lol

JRGComedy likes this.
  8. ARo24

Regular

She's an interesting human being. I thought it was a well written interview. Made the mistake of reading some of the comments though geez.

Turkeylegz likes this.
  9. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

Yeah, reading the comments on any online news site is usually depressing - nothing but negativity.

This was a good read.

10. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

I would just love to sit down with Martin and watch him create a song. I completely agree that "Green Light" has weird songwriting aspects to it, but it's perfect for for what Lorde is trying to convey in the song, so to that end its not "incorrect".

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  11. Mr. Serotonin

Seems weird to ever say a song is written "incorrectly". I guess if there's anyone who's allowed to say that though, it would be Max.

12. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

I thought that too. I'm assuming he's talking about it being incorrectly for the typical radio format.

13. sawhney[rusted]2

I also assume that he's talking about the transition between the verses and the pre-chorus. I don't know much about music theory but that transition sounded what I would expect Max Martin to call "incorrect" the first time I heard it.

14. Mr. Serotonin

Yeah, but he's wrong, right? Isn't it already on the radio? I think when you've already had HUGE radio success, you get a little more freedom.

15. Mr. Serotonin

Yeah, but that's one of the coolest parts :crylaugh:

16. sawhney[rusted]2

Oh hell yeah! But definitely not traditionally correct lol.

I could see Max being a hardass about that hahaha

17. Mr. Serotonin

I guess. Ya gotta be a little progressive sometimes and not ALWAYS stick to tradition, haha. Max would prolly think a lot of Bleachers songs are "wrong" too I suppose.

18. sawhney[rusted]2

Especially since Jack is butting in on Max's monopoly

JRGComedy and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  19. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

Oh yeah, for sure. The pre-chorus changes key, so I could see him calling it out based on that.