Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

David Letterman to Induct Pearl Jam Into Hall of Fame

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

David Letterman will induct Pearl Jam into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

“Due to illness, Neil Young is regrettably no longer able to induct Pearl Jam at this Year’s Induction Ceremony,” the Rock Hall said in a statement Wednesday. “The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is thrilled that David Letterman has agreed to induct Pearl Jam this Friday night at the 32nd Annual Induction Ceremony.”

2. therookielot

Punk, Absolute Prestigious

Who? I'm sorry, Nirvana ruled the 90's.

3. thecobrakais

Regular

with all due respect, kurt didn't even make it half way through the 90's. for you to think PJ doesn't deserve a spot in the Hall of Fame is ridiculous.

Schmohawk likes this.
  4. therookielot

I can't believe you said that on today of all days. WOW.

5. Schmohawk

Eat Snickers, leave garbage.

Not that it needs to be a competition between the two, but Pearl Jam was every bit as popular as Nirvana in the 90's, and the argument can be made they were even more.

That's not a slight at Nirvana, as iconic as they were, but if we're going by popularity, especially in the 90's, Pearl Jam with their decade-long output of hits was as big as any band (despite the many steps they even took to reel back how big they were becoming).

6. therookielot

I just can't name a Pearl Jam song sorry.

7. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

This thread is pissing me off.

angrycandy and truelovewaits like this.
  8. Schmohawk

9. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

For the same reason you mentioned about it being unnecessary to make it a competition between two bands who changed the face of music in the '90s. I've been waiting ages to see Pearl Jam achieve this particular accolade, so I'm incredibly happy for those dudes. For all the turmoil their career has undergone, you rarely see a band that cares for their fans the way they do, and that has always gone a long way with me.

angrycandy and Schmohawk like this.
  10. Schmohawk

Oh I agree. It seems like since the 90's people always want to compare those two bands, when it isn't and never was necessary and doesn't help either. I never saw them as rivals either, and most people I knew really enjoyed both and didn't see them as mutually exclusive. Nirvana was an iconic, important and beloved band, and for the short time they were around, undeniably left their mark on music history. They were an absolute no-brainer for induction.

Pearl Jam, on the other hand, is the shining example of how to run your huge band successfully and properly over a long period of time. They managed to become a massive success story and retain that huge fanbase to this day, all while respecting the fans, and avoiding rockstar egos and big drug issues that plagued their peers. Through the early drummer changes, pressures of success, eventual shifting of the public's music taste, the Ticketmaster fight, and the Roskilde tragedy, they kept those fans because it was so clear they never lost their integrity.

That's all beside the point they created a career of amazing music. They're right there with Cobain and Co. as being as deserving as any band in the past 20 years to be inducted into the HOF.

carlosonthedrums likes this.
  11. TedSchmosby

Trusted

Nirvana is already in the Hall of Fame. What's your problem?

Schmohawk and truelovewaits like this.
  12. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

that says more about you than it does them tho. I mean, have you ever listened to the radio? never heard Black? Alive? Jeremy? they have tons of hits and are very deserving of being in the Hall of Fame. show some respect

13. therookielot

It doesn't say anything about me cause I don't listen to this band? There's a void there.

"You don't listen to Pearl Jam. I KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT YOU NOW"

ok dude. What's my Dad's middle name?

That's what I thought, show some respect to my daddy.

14. TedSchmosby

Trusted

wat

angrycandy likes this.