Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Marco Arment’s Bluetooth Headphones Mega-Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Marco Arment has published his mega-review of Bluetooth headphones:

My criteria for this review is what someone seeking good all-around headphones today probably wants:

• Bluetooth
    • Closed-back for isolation, ideally with active noise cancellation (ANC)
    • Portable enough to fit in a small bag; suitable for listening at a desk, bringing on an airplane, and wearing outside
    • Definitely under $500, and ideally under $300

For everyday use I’ve been using AirPods for the past few months and absolutely love them. I listen to almost exclusively podcasts or audiobooks with them, but they’re fine for music.1 If you’re looking for where to start with Bluetooth headphones, this is a good resource.

1. Most of the time if I’m listening to music it’s playing via speakers or I’m at my computer where I use a wired pair of headphones.

2. rbf737

Regular

Is it silly to wonder about the health risks about bluetooth headphones? I know most scientific logic supports that any waves emitted by bluetooth even right next to the head are too weak to pose a real threat, but it still makes me a bit uneasy because we don't have the hard evidence that proves that it won't cause brain cancer, especially after the extreme extended use a lot of people will get out of them.

3. bptky

check out Musica - Akron's best live music venue

I see his disclaimer for in-ear headphones towards the bottom of the article, but does anyone have an opinion on a good pair of bluetooth earbuds other than AirPods? I primarily use headphones for running, gym, or at work, so I always prefer earbuds over the bulkier options.

4. Schooner

Trusted

I got plantronics backbeat I think that's the name. They're sport water and sweat resistant ones. I'd never heard of the brand til got them vas a present and they're outstanding. Also noticed that brand won the bulky "wear getting off the Lakers bus to the game" style

5. manoverboard679

If you have to ask, you can't afford it

+10 for backbeat fit. I use them every day at work and when I get home to run. Also the backbeat pro are awesome full size ones if you're in the market for those. Both from Plantronics

bptky and Schooner like this.